Skip to main content

Adventure of the Seas - Fall 2019 - Day 5


In Saint John, our plan is to follow the river walk and reach the Reversing Falls. This is an area where the Saint John river meets the Bay of Fundy. As a result of the difference in elevation (up to 50 feet depending on the level of the tide), the resulting effect can include whirlpools and crashing waves. The name given for this phenomenon is the Tidal Bore. It’s a hike and a half to get there, which is okay because I’ve got more than my share of meals to walk off. Once upon a when, the walk was just industrial wasteland, but there’s now a well-maintained brick path with various playgrounds, art installations, and informational signage along the way. While we take in relatively little of the informational tidbits along the route, we catch a shit ton of Pokemon, so at least there’s that. After about forty minutes of walking, we make it to the Reversing Falls. We get there relatively early in the day, so the water isn’t doing crazy things, but spectator-wise, the area is also fairly quiet so we can check things out from various angles and take all the pictures we want. After this, we cross over to nearby Wolastoq Park which has chainsaw-made statues of various people important to New Brunswick’s history. Off the top of my head, I can name Samuel de Champlain and Benedict Arnold (who apparently settled here after Benedict Arnold-ing his countrymen in the US). The rest have left my mind and the Wolastoq Park website is completly devoid of specifics or important details of any kind, so maybe Sarah can fill in the gaps.

After walking back to town, we had lunch at Big Tide Brewing Company. Sarah had a blueberry cream ale that she fell in love with. I had a diet coke that, at best, I’d
like to just be friends with. We walked around a little more, wandered through a covered market and bought lattes at a local chain called Java Moose. Then walking outside, a reporter from the CBC asked us who we thought would win the upcoming election. Sarah gave an intelligent, well-stated, but resigned response. I just made a guttural fear noise and backed away from the camera. Unlikely that my old mug made it to air, but anyone watching the Saint John evening news on October 1st probably saw my pretty wife on their screen.

It’s been a good cruise to date, but people around us seem to be more full of complaints than your average cruise. Lots of bellyaching about service. My single favourite comment was when someone pulled their server aside after dinner and said, “Tell the chef this was terrible.” That’s right – guy who’s been breaking his back to fulfill our every dining whim – march over to kitchen and tell the head chef who just supervised dinner for like 1,500 people that he did a really shitty job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.