Skip to main content

The city so nice, they named it three times

June 23rd – Something I’ve forgotten to note is that we’re in the middle of white nights right now, where daylight lasts a remarkably long time. Add to this the fact that the solstice was only two days ago and that we’re pretty much right on the 60th parallel, and we’re talking almost twenty hours of daylight.

In Russia, even arriving by cruise ship, you need a visa to visit the city. This can be done relatively simply if you book a shore excursion, either through the ship or privately. After corresponding with a lady she met on Cruise Critic, Sarah signed us up for a private tour through a company called Red October. We disembark around 7:30 and meet our tour-mates, our guide, and our driver on the dock. The guide’s name is Polina. She’s actually a university professor, but she works as a tour guide “for the privilege of teaching for the rest of the year.” Our driver’s name is Igor. Nice guy, but unremarkable other than because his name is Igor.

It’s a huge city and there’s an absurd number of things to see, so most of the sightseeing is done on the road. We’re driven around in an old van; spacious, but you felt every bump right through to your skull. The tour began with a quick zip around town, and the first stop of consequence is St. Isaac’s Square. We’re told that St. Isaac’s is the fourth largest cathedral in the world. It’s also one of four cathedrals in St. Petersburg. (Generally, a cathedral is the seat of a bishop and any additional church of significance is called a basilica—but apparently Russia doesn’t roll that way.)

More sightseeing via olden days van, then we have a lengthy stop at Peter and Paul Fortress. Walked the grounds, had some nice panoramic views of the city, then explored the Cathedral, where all the Romanovs—from Peter the Great to Anastasia—are buried. It’s a nice contrast to Westminster; rather than overblown, intricately carved sarcophagi representing the status or wealth of the deceased, every single grave marker here is identical. While our guide is saying something at the grave of Catherine the Great, I notice an older guy a few feet away working on a charcoal sketch. He shows it to me, and I have no frigging idea what it is, until I finally make out my super-dark, caterpillar of an eyebrow. It’s my profile. The final product, which takes him about two minutes start to finish, makes me look like a long dead Russian hero, and it’s totally worth the five bucks I pay for it.

We’re taken to Yusupov Palace after this, formerly the home of enormously rich Russian aristocrats, now a museum owned and run by a union of secondary school teachers. Before we enter, Polina warns us of how incredibly anal the staff is: “We’re not a totalitarian people any more,” she says, “except here.” She’s not exaggerating. Some rules make sense (we’re herded in and out of rooms like sheep to prevent overcrowding), while some don’t (Sarah is scolded for wearing her purse rather than carrying it, and two minutes later, as I stand on the stairs in front of an over-crowded landing, I’m yelled at either for touching the marble banister, or for having my feet on two seperate stairs, or maybe for doing both at the same time.) But enough about schoolmarms. Yusupov’s also happens to be where Rasputin was killed (sort of). Felix Yusupov was the one who conspired to rub out the mad monk (oh, those Russians). He started with poison, moved on to shooting him once, then—after Rasputin crawled out of the house and into the street—Felix emptied a gun full of bullets into him. Rasputin’s seemingly lifeless corpse was dumped into the river, but when the body was recovered and an autopsy performed, the coroner determined the cause of death to be drowing.
Peterhof next. In the days of Peter the Great, the Winter Palace was where the royal family lived (more on that later), but Peterhof was where the Peter conducted business, welcomed foreign dignitaries, and just went for shits and giggles. It’s an enormous property, surrounded by god knows how many acres of land. A highlight is the marine canal—the waterway leading in from the Gulf of Finland. As waterborne guests of Peter the Great arrived, they came to the Great Cascade, which is a landing surrounded by several dozen statues and fountains. The fountains have no mechanical parts but operate entirely through hydraulic systems. Peter had a thing for fountains in general. Within the property are several different areas (benches, walkways) where water erupts spontaneously, and he liked to summon his guests through those areas knowing that they’d have to get soaked rather than disobey his call. Bit of a dick, Peter the Great, but there’s more to come. Within this palatial retreat is an even smaller retreat: Mon Plaisir, where Peter spent most of his time. In comparison to his other residences, it’s modest. By any other comparator: not so modest. Most notable within this building is an enormous glass, about a foot tall and as big as your head around. Peter the Great brought a number of western customs to Russia—tobacco, beer, things easily accepted by the populace; but among the things he introduced was western attire, which was not so bad for the men, but incredibly embarrassing for the women who had to come to terms with bare shoulders and decolletage for the first time. To prevent their wives and daughters from embarrassment, some of the gentry would choose to beg off an invitation before the emperor. Peter responded by demanding the offender’s presence and then forcing the individual to share a drink with him. This person was made to finish the contents of The Glass (the big-as-your-head glass), which must have held at least six litres of vodka, and was basically a death sentence.

Our Red October tour ends at 5:30, to be resumed the following day. We get back to the ship and, after quick naps all around, regroup for our shore excursion—which entails a canal cruise and a late dinner. I’m not a fan of the cruise itself. St. Petersburg is a very squat kind of city, a result of Peter the Great’s dictum that no building should be taller than the Winter Palace. That said, I’m starving to goddamn death throughout it, so this may have some effect on my judgment. The dinner is great though, and along with the wine and the four courses, they serve an ice cold shot of vodka. Good vodka, I discover, is magnificent served on its own. Vodka is the new scotch; you heard it here first.

By dinner’s end it’s still daylight out, despite the fact that it’s nearing midnight. It’s also graduation night for the secondary school kids, and every year at this time the city opens up the downtown to them. There are thousands of Russian teenagers walking the streets, chugging Red Bull or, strangely, gin and tonic from a can (not the new scotch, so we’re clear). St. Petersburg is also hosting a concert for them, which we’re told is being headlined by The Scorpians. The. Scorpians. “Hello St. Petersburg—ve are Ze Scorpians! Are you enjoying ze vhite nights?” Apparently in Russia, it’s still 1982.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I always knew you were hot, Dave, but that sketch just underscores fact.

If Jorge weren't your man-lover . . .

;-)
Anonymous said…
...you felt every bump right through to your skull...

Good thing you have that Sagittal Crest, eh?

Ah..
Catherine the Great. Now there was a lady who really liked her horses.

The fountains are magnificent (I've only seen pictures and videos). A wonder of thinking. USing elevation and (most likely) bernoulli's principle to create pressure without the use of pumps.

And as for Vodka..
Didn't Brad and I tell you that? Someone needs to bring a bottle of Moskovskaya this year on our camping trip...
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry, Jorge. Moskovskaya is oily garbage. Authenticity be damned. I used to drink it neat out of the freezer, without moderation, and it invariably left a rainbow film on my teeth.
Dave said…
1) The title is in reference to the fact that St. Petersburg was also named Petrograd, Leningrad, and St. Petersburg alternately (at certain points in time). Meant to mention that after throwing the title in there, but never quite got around to it...

2) Since my love of vodka has come into play, I've tried three vodkas (all neat): Tchaikovsky, Moskovskaya, and Imperia. For the record: Imperia tastes like liquid silk, but maybe only because the shopgirl made me try fermented sewer water in comparison; Tchaikovsky tastes like it might just be rubbing alcohol; and Moskovskaya tastes lurvly, greasy teeth notwithstanding.
Anonymous said…
If I told you that Vladimir is my vodka of choice, you guys would point and laugh, wouldn't you?
Anonymous said…
No.
We would wonder why you're not inviting us over to drink it.

Bill - Maybe your freezer was fucked up. That would explain all your bouts of food poisoning.
Jay said…
I think that actually turned me on a bit.


Just to let you know, I linked you through blog to - is that okay?
Dave said…
Jay, it should be clear by know that I'm a total fame whore. Thanks for the link. You are the friggin best!
Anonymous said…
How do you know about my food poisoning woes? Are you the guy who stole the November 1999--August 2001 box from my stool sample archive? I want that back. It's a gastrointestinal gold mine. Not to mention loaded with memories.
Beth said…
So, did you love the Scorpians so much that you spent the rest of the trip in Russia and have nothing more to update? Or are you spending all your time on WT and so you've abandoned this blog?
Dave said…
Hit a 'there's so much left to write' period that I psyched myself out for a few days. But I'm back on it now.
Anonymous said…
"The dinner is great though, and along with the wine and the four courses, they serve an ice cold shot of vodka. Good vodka, I discover, is magnificent served on its own. Vodka is the new scotch; you heard it here first."

DAVE ===> If you ever have another occasion to meet Jackie, you two should talk vodka. She's huge on it and knows her shit. She also drinks it straight, chilled, and was doing so before the Russians.
True story.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.