Skip to main content

I grow old... I grow old...

When I was twenty-four years old I dreaded my thirtieth birthday, but for different reasons than I do now. I was still in University then, finishing up the last year of a creative writing degree. At the onset, those of us in the program (with some exceptions) started out certain we’d all be little wonder boys and girls by the time we’d finished. We’d form a crew; we’d write and be written about. This of course never happened. Near the end of fourth year we were all certainly better writers, but none of us were superstars. We weren’t even published. But it was okay, I rationalized; I was still young. While my original plan—to have amassed a portfolio of writing so enormous that something would have to get published—failed entirely, my new plan would simply be to publish a novel by the time I was thirty. It was six years away. Actually, I think the full plan was to churn out three books by then, because then one would surely get picked up. If I couldn’t publish a book by the time I was thirty, I was a fucking failure—that’s what I decided.

Well The Turning is now twenty-four days away and clearly the master plan didn’t succeed. I’m still three books short of my goal, and unpublished, but it’s not the concern it once was. I’d found a job that I could be serious about, and before school had ended I fell back into the best relationship of my life. Things got in the way, and while I can’t account for all the stray hours, I can account for enough of them that I’m not ashamed of what I’ve done in the meantime. If I include myself—and I haven’t entirely given up—there are four of us from that year of the program that still actually write: Bill, whose small doses of genius are, nonetheless, genius; Jamie, who at last sighting was working on Upfront Windsor; and Dani, who’s kicking all our asses with her grants and her website and her published work.

So, this ‘haven’t left my mark’ argument—the obvious choice—isn’t the reason I dread thirty. It also has nothing to with my career; while working where I do isn’t what I dreamed of as a child, it’s a good place, it’s interesting work most of the time, and I’m well compensated. I also have an amazing wife who I love more then I could ever describe, so I clearly didn’t come up short on the relationship front. No, what depresses me about turning thirty is that I’m more or less done as a person.

The problem is that, by the time you’re thirty, you’re pretty much over the self-improvement phase of your life. Your thirties are your settling in and settling down years—your Carlsberg Years, if you will. All the great projects of your life have probably already taken place, and if not, they’ll be held off until you retire—at which time you won’t be able to perform them or they’ll be scaled down tremendously. (In your twenties: run a marathon. In your sixties: have a nice walk after Passions.) Basically, if there’s something big you mean to do and you haven’t gotten around to it before thirty—it’s Shits Creek sans paddle.

Don’t let me mislead you—I don’t have any huge goals. I don’t want to build a house or paint a self portrait. I’m not gonna start a band or go to film school. My goals are simple and doable. Things like: be more outgoing, write on a regular basis, get into some kind of decent shape. They’re the little nagging issues of my life, the only real fronts where I think I make for a sorry human being. And at thirty and in those areas—in all honesty—I think this is as good as it gets. I’m pretty sure that all gains from here on will be minuscule.

I understand that this post thirty give-up is not an absolute rule. I’m sure there are people in their fifties that learn to play the piano, and septuagenarians who have taken up boxing, but these are the exceptions. Know that I am the exception to nothing. I fall prey to nearly every guy and husband cliché: I forget the things I’m told, I plan poorly, I leave the house dressed like crap, I stop drinking two beers too late, and whenever no one else is in the room with me, I’m probably touching myself. So it’s inevitable that the older I get, the lazier I’ll get.

I’m not torn to pieces over the issue; I’m just not thrilled about it. If I had a shit job or I was single, I’d be the mayor of Histrionic City right now, but it’s just some small stuff that I’ve come up short on. It’ll get easier, I figure. In your early thirties, you’re ashamed of your shortcomings but incapable of action. Late thirties and on though, you either don’t notice, or more likely, you just don’t give a shit anymore.

So there you go. Apathy is the next milestone of my personal growth.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yo Dave,
I'm feeling a bit blue after reading today's post. I'm not quite as close to 30 as you, I'd like to point out, but the comment on losing yourself and adopting an apathetic approach to one's life sure hit home. I've got a few things on the go professionally, which I hope to accomplish over the next year or two, but after that life remains pretty much a mystery. Outside of that, I'm happy though, which I can say confidently. And I'm at that point where I feel secure about the future, having just tied the knot solidified that. I guess my advice to you would be not to become too complacent, because really, age shouldn't stop you from achieving your goals--just as long as they're realistic, right?
Anyway, that's my two cents.
Keep up with the writing though, we all love it!
kris said…
Um, can someone tell me where the Dave I know and love has gone?

Alright, let the elder tell you a few things.

I have passed thirty. I did all the things I was supposed to in my twenties - moved sans job but with a car full of crap to a new city, got a graduate degree, had and lost many meaningful relationships. I traveled and danced on bars and finally embraced my family. I feel as if I have done most of what was on the list I wrote out in 10th grade AP English. Check.

So now starts the real stuff. I still have my legs, arms, some memory, and my wit, so my thirties are just the beginning of doing what it is that I really want to do. Now that we have jobs (knock on wood) and relationships that are fulfilling and solid, we can explore life in a way we couldn't in our twenties. With the constants set, we don't have to worry as much about the questions and insecurities that plagued us in our earlier years.

Sure, there are always things we won't have done. I won't ever have spent a semester abroad. And I should have bought a home in Northern Virginia before prices doubled. C'est la vie.

But now, comfortable in my own skin and with my own abilities, I give presentations I would have avoided in years past. I send back a steak when it isn't cooked properly, something I recall being mortified that a parent would do in my presence. I have started writing again.

In sum, should I find you at home watching Passions (which I didn't know was even broadcast in Canada) and wasting away your vital thirties, I will track you down via your isp and bitch slap you properly.

With love,
Kris
Jay said…
What the hell is Passions?

Thankfully, it is my firm intent to be dead and reverted into dust by the time 30 is anywhere near the horizon.

Without once mentioning the word death, this is the most morbid post ever. Evah.
Anonymous said…
Dude,

What's going on?
Maybe the birthday loving I gave you in the tent during our interior trip wasn't enough. In which case, I have failed as a woman.

But this is not such a bad thing.

I think that the gains are only miniscule if you expect that. Great things lie ahead for you.

Think of this...
Published you may not be at the moment.
However, you do write, and are written about.
You are building a fan base, and it is a good fan base.

People like you and your writing. This is a lot more than could be said about a lot of people.

And if you plan on having children, they become some of your milestones.

Jorge
Anonymous said…
No, Dave. You're quite right. This feeling -- which is less complacency than despair -- will diminish, will be forgotten; but it is justified. Your life (and mine) is not solidifying: it is congealing. All the things that feel solid, reliable, established and immutable, the issues that appear settled -- wife, work, belly -- are will o' the wisps. Never forget that you are failing miserably, that you are accumulating regrets, that great things are expected of you. I am not being ironic. I applaud your honesty, and I will not console you.
Anonymous said…
Dave,

I will turn thirty, if my math is right, a day after you. (Also five days before the Afghan parliamentary and provincial elections.)

And I need to tell you why I love your blog so much. Yeah yeah you're funny, it's well-written, it's got human pathos and cat photos.

But also because you are all these things I'm not and relate to Milton (and Georgetown) and Bishop Reding and have an obsessive curiousity about: married, in Ontario, possessed of a steady job and still connected to a large swath of people from high school.

But you're not 1965, you're still like me, or so I thought. Striving. Often stupid. Having fun and waiting to see what happens. Now you're saying it's over? Nothing else happens?

I am typing this in the dark from the floor of the guesthouse of the NGO I quit two months ago. There is no air conditioning for the 40 degree heat, I sleep on the floor on a thin sofa cushion in a room where the ceiling is alive with rats and there is at least one person I want to bludgeon. When in town I always come back because I can't be arsed to find somewhere better.

I am single and last night got disturbingly drunk because this asshole I had had a crush on but who then slept with two girls, one of whom was my friend, is now dating this anemic and charmless Scandinavian girl.

I am just back from a week's vacation in Dubai where I watched five movies and ate at a food court Chili's twice. Also met up with another boy I had a crush on, an ex-navy American who is either or both an alcoholic and an anonynous sex-addict and is shipping out to the Sudan in two weeks. (He did, however, lend me a book you might like: The Risk Pool by Richard Russo.)

I have no idea what I am doing or where I will be in two months.

It can't possibly be over -- I'm not done yet, I've barely even started. And don't let the trappings of a good life fool you, neither have you.
Anonymous said…
Maintaining the trappings of a good life is a pretty amazing thing in and of itself.

That and reinventing yourself 1000 times like Madonna and J-Lo.
Dave said…
This is, for certain, the most I've ever enjoyed my comments page. I've read all of this half a dozen times, and I'm in awe of the good, smart, disparate opinions here.

I won't retract anything. It's not something I'm obsessed over, I just wanted to put words to why I don't like the idea of turning thirty. These thoughts occurred to me one day (in fact, not the same day I wrote them down). I found them depressing, and I wanted to depress a few other people.

Very therapeutic and it make for some great conversation, so I'm happy.
Anonymous said…
So really, it was all a ploy.

Man.
I'll touch you last all right.
I'll touch you last in the crotch with my foot.
Very forcefully I might add.

:)

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.