Skip to main content

First day with no time change, but we’re still a little sluggish. The kids haven’t adjusted to the timing in either the morning or the night. We head off to breakfast and note that barf bags have been made available near all staircases, which is not a great sign. The water was like glass the day before, and while it’s a little bit choppier today, no one comes near to yarfing. After breakfast, it’s another brief kids’ club, this time because we spring them early so we can go see Mary Poppins Returns. The ship has a small theatre that seats maybe eighty people. Even though the movie is playing six times today, we just barely get seats – three between the five of us right in the front row. But it’s fine. The movie is really good. Enough nods to the original without being slavish to it. (One of my favourite parts is a short run of notes from the “Tuppence a Bag” song played at just the right time.) The girls really love it. Teddy and I both get a little nauseated from the rocking of the ship, coupled with a few rollercoaster turns of the camera, but in the end he really likes it too. Afterward, he reminds me of his last movie theatre experience, Moana, where his hand had locked up because he was tensely clutching a mini box of smarties for the last half of the movie. Mary Poppins Returns: 100% less tension-induced paralysis.

Not a super eventful day so maybe I’ll catalogue some of the perks of our cruise level. Fortunately for us, our Celebrity credits port over to the Royal Caribbean rewards program. Here, we’re at the Diamond Level (beyond this is Diamond Plus and Pinnacle). At Diamond, you get a few nice things. There’s the free drinks lounge open for happy hour (happy hour is between 4:30 and 8:00, btw). Because there are so many Diamond cruisers on this trip, they’ve also two free happy hour drinks loaded onto our cards to be redeemed anywhere on the ship each night, in the instance that you can’t get into the lounge. If you’re a big drinker, you could be the Mayor of Shitfaced City. Once upon a time, I would have been wearing that mayoral sash nightly, but these days I just redeem a few virgin bloody marys. But hey: free is free. Beyond happy hour, there’s also a full day Diamond Club lounge where you can get access to fancy coffee, and peace and quiet. Again, in the instance that the lounge is rammed, they’ve also loaded a free specialty coffee coupon that can be redeemed at the café once a day. Diamond fancy pants people can also escape the buffet at breakfast and eat at the main dining room (while we’ve availed ourselves of the other perks on a daily basis, the dining room breakfast is a little header to manage).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.