Skip to main content

Embarkation is always a hurry-up-and-wait kind of day and this was worse than most. We had breakfast at the hotel, killed time in our rooms, and then grabbed cabs to get to the cruise terminal. Our cab driver was exceptionally personable and funny. As mentioned, the EDM festival was going to start later that day. Our driver, on the subject: “You’re lucky you’re getting out of here now. The Beyond Festival is tonight. It’s madness. *gesturing to a group of 20-year-olds walking down the street* It’ll be wall-to-wall with those people. They seem nice now, but wait until they’re all on molly…”


At the terminal, we immediately run into Jim and Darlene, a couple that we spent the day in St. Lucia with last year. Admittedly, we’re both regular cruisers, but it’s still a pretty random coincidence (and we proceed to see them on board about five times after that). We get our passes and everything straightened out in relatively short order, and we spot a few other kids which is good news for our own, but then everyone gets seated in a giant lobby because they’re not ready to have us on board. We wait there for about an hour, although it feels like three. No reason is given, but I’m going to blame it on stowaways. (Lucie – a lady I work with – just finished a back-to-back cruise, and they were made to wait for about 3 hours between cruises while the crew tracked down a couple of knuckleheads who were hiding somewhere on the ship. The cruise director told her that it was very common occurrence at the end of a cruise. True story: they’d shaken someone out from the theatre curtain once.)


Eventually we get on board, and it’s immediately very surreal. We’ve taken Celebrity cruises for almost 20 years now and you get accustomed to things looking a certain way. Royal Caribbean is very similar… but just different enough to make you feel like you’re having a dream about cruising and not actually doing it. We go up for to Windjammers, which is the buffet, and it’s rammed with the thousand other people that all also just got on board. We do manage to get a table, and eat some food, and then we get to head to the rooms which are available nice and early. From there, we do a quick tour, and it becomes a string of disappointments for the kids. There’s a waterslide on board, but it’s not open at all on the first day. There’s also an awesome climbing wall; also not open the first day. Even the kids’ club, which – at least on Celebrity – is open in the evening, isn’t open other than for a 30 minute sign-up-your-kid window. We do get to swim at the kids pool for about twenty-five minutes – but then that gets closed (at least in this instance, it was in preparation for muster). The lifeguard is Hispanic and very heavily accented, and when he tries to tell me, “It’s time to close the pool” I keep hearing, “The temperature of the pool” and I was like, “Don’t worry! The temperature is fine!” No exaggeration: five attempts later, I finally realize what the poor guy is saying.


Muster was another overly long wait, starting about half an hour after it was scheduled. It might be too early to say for certain, but there seems to be this ship-wide laissez faire attitude. Like, maybe the cruise ends it Rome, but maybe it doesn’t. Let’s just see where the wind takes us, shall we?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.