Skip to main content

New York 2017 - Day 2

I don't know that this thought occurred to me on this specific day of the trip but I'll record it here regardless: of all Caucasian tourists, old British men are the easiest to identify before a single word comes out of their mouth. Every old British dude looks like a caricature of an old British dude. Not true of the women; totally true for the dudes. Brits aside, the gamut of international tourists we came across was pretty amazing. I used to feel like cruises put you in touch with people the world over, but New York tourists are crazily diverse.

Sarah mined Foursquare (yup, that’s still a thing) for restaurants that were highly rated by locals, and throughout the trip food was good and affordable. For breakfast, we went to a little bakery called Amy's Bread. Nice breakfast sandwich, good coffee, then we were off to start the day. At the TKTS booth, when you've bought tickets within the last eight days, you can return, show your ticket stubs, and go in a fast pass line. So we were among the first to the counters when they opened and we scored excellent seats for the matinee for Beautiful. With the show hours away, Sarah led us on a crosstown walk to the Hudson River, where the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is located.

Admission was free because the local Science and Tech museum in Ottawa (of which we are members) has a reciprocal agreement with a bunch of other science-y museums across North America. Free-ness alone made it worth the walk, but on its own merits the museum is worth a visit. The main attraction is the USS Intrepid, an aircraft carrier that served in World War II and Vietnam, and endured multiple kamikaze attacks and torpedo strikes (not during our visit). There’s also the Space Shuttle Enterprise on site, as well Growler – a decommissioned nuclear sub. We went to the sub first, which I have to admit was bigger inside than I expected (although I’m sure it feels plenty small when the hatch closes and you’re at the bottom of the ocean). I can’t imagine how the actual operation of the sub works, because there’s a thousand dials, and valves, and switches, and some of those are places you’d expect (in navigation) where others are just in a hallway, or in the mess, or in the latrine or wherever. The sub hasn’t been active for decades but you can still catch the scent of diesel. And the tour guides on board – retired officers who'd served on the Growler – said the smell was twenty times as bad when it was a live vessel (not to mention the fact that everyone on board smoked).

Next, we checked out the Intrepid, which was as massive as you’d expect an aircraft carrier to be. There were more retired officers on board and they were fantastic – super informative and just loving their job. There were a dozen jets and helicopters on deck, but I’m not much of a military enthusiast, so I’m hard pressed to remember specifics. We finished up the museum visit by checking out the Enterprise. You don’t get inside that one, sadly, you only get to walk the platform around it, which is laaaaaaaaaame. (This bugs me more after the fact than it did at the time.)

Restaurant crowdsourcing brought us to Bareburger, which was one of those natural, organic, non-GMO, non-factory farm burger joints where the patties comes strictly from cows who provided their meat on a voluntary basis. (I kid!) It was pretty good. Then we went to see Beautiful.

This trip was for Sarah’s birthday so I wanted to do whatever she wanted to do. And 90% of the time our interests coincide. But that doesn't happen to be the case when it comes to Carole King. I think she’s very talented, I appreciate her… but I never get a craving to hear me some Carole King. So you can imagine how interested I wasn't in seeing a musical about her life. But because I’m not a total monster, I faked... not enthusiasm but at least mild interest. And as it turned out: fantastic musical! Seriously! The lead actress sounded exactly like Carole King, and she was self-deprecating, and 100% percent believable, and hilarious, (and gets many bonus points for being Canadian). Male lead was great too, and continuing the trend of male leads on Broadway – he was an absolute brick shithouse. The music was solid, and because a lot of the story is about Carole and her husband writing songs for various bands, the numbers get shared equitably among the ensemble. Loved it. Probably the second best play we saw.

Dinner was at Ponche Taqueria: totally solid, family-run Mexican place. Then it was time to see Hamilton. I don’t think it was until we stepped inside the actual theatre that we acknowledged our shared nervousness. Not about the quality of the play, which we knew would be excellent, but we both felt this growing anxiety that something was going to happen that would stop us from seeing the play. I remember thinking that even acknowledging the fear would jinx us. The tickets would get lost, or they’d be fakes, or the show would be cancelled, or just something. Right up until the house lights went out, it didn’t feel real that we were actually going to see this play. But, spoiler: we did, and it was totally amazing. If you don’t know anything about Hamilton, described as simply as possible it’s a rap musical about the life of U.S. Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. Sounds ludicrous when you boil it down, but it’s brilliant. Go check out the White House performance of My Shot and you’ll get it pretty immediately.

I've listened to the soundtrack dozens of times, watched the PBS documentary on the play, read Hamilton: The Revolution, and watched pretty much any available Hamilton footage on YouTube. Which made me (obviously) very familiar with the musical, but also very attached to the original cast. So I worried I’d be constantly comparing the current cast with the original lineup. But that didn’t occupy me too much. I admit I really missed Leslie Odom Jr. The actor playing Burr had a fantastic voice, and made the role surprisingly funny, but I missed the seriousness and the intensity. And of course I would have preferred Lin-Manuel Miranda as Hamilton, but at least in that case I was more interested than disappointed in the choices made by either actor. Beyond those two, I wasn’t making as many comparisons as I expected. What struck me early on in the show was how quickly the play moves. There is no fat in that production whatsoever. I can’t imagine what it would be like to walk in blind – knowing nothing about it, never having heard a line. What would I come away with as my favourite song or scene? How damn much of it would I have missed? It’s probably best experienced in extremes: you know absolutely nothing or you know absolutely everything. I don’t know what else to say about it. I’m the last in a million-person line of people who’ve already raved about it. What can I say except those million people ahead of me were all absolutely right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.