Skip to main content
I remember having a conversation with my brother after my niece Rachael was born. She was a few weeks old at this point, and Barry was looking a little haggard, but no worse than to be expected. I was twenty years old, and I asked the most important question I could think of about parenthood: “How are you doing without the sleep?”

He said, “After a while, you realize you just don’t need it.”

Fast-forward fourteen years and that’s proved true. Sort of. My brother has a far greater capacity than I do for getting by without much sleep, and I haven’t turned out to be the superstar he’s been in that regard, but I’ve definitely learned to get by with a lot less. For at least the first three weeks, admittedly, I did not cope well with the sleeplessness. But after that, something happened. Things just… got better. Maybe my body realized that this is the new normal. And it’s not that I don’t feel tired, but I’ve just found a way to push that fatigue off to the side somewhere. I don’t nod off at my desk. I don’t find myself doing the shambling zombie walk. And I don’t superfly my pillow the second that Teddy falls asleep at night.

But let’s get back to that ‘sort of.’


Learn to lose about ten to twelve hours of sleep each week and you can still be a functioning human, but you lose a lot. You'll find that your memory's shit (and mine was already terrible to begin with). You retell stories to the same person three days in a row. You can have a conversation with someone—one that you've actively participated in—and forget what you just talked about in it's entirety only minutes later. You find yourself grasping to recall very simple words. "What's that thing will the pages? It's bound. There's, uh, all kinds of words inside it and stuff. Oh, right! Shit! A book!" On top of this, you forget how to be creative and to innovate. Minus the sleep, you can still be pretty good at things you know concretely how to do, but when it comes to learning something new or forging a path in unfamiliar territory (figuratively, but probably also literally), you're pretty much screwed.

But don't cry for me, Argentina—the sleepless times are pretty much my own doing. At this point, Teddy has a fairly reliable schedule and (night feedings aside) he leaves me lots of time for sleep. I just don't take advantage of the opportunity. I'll always squeeze in extra hour or two of wakefulness when I can, and while one day doesn't matter so much, it has a compounding effect as the days go on.

As of this moment in time, I'm in pretty good shape. I was rough as hell last week, with Teddy going through his stormy eighteenth week (more on that later), but I've had a few solid, smart nights of sleep since the weekend, so I'm good to go again. Don't worry, though—I'm sure I'll screw myself over real soon and I end up feeling like garbage again. By Thursday at the latest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.