Skip to main content

Highlights in Baby Holding

  • Sarah's cousin Hannah was probably the first baby I'd ever held, and I must have been nineteen at the time. Her Uncle Fred (ten or so minutes after we first met) said, "Phew! She stinks! You hold her, Dave." And I did. I held her at arms length, like she was a scorpian or some kind of deadly snake. I could feel a room full of people all watching me, all thinking this guy doesn't have a clue, does he? After holding her for about ninety seconds, still as far away from my body as possible, somebody finally releaved me of this terrifying burden.
  • My nieces came next. I don't have a lot of memories of holding them as newborns because, frankly, newborns scare the shit out of me. I know that whenever I did hold them, I did it in the way that small children do: I sat on a couch and crooked my arm and someone put them exactly in place (and then removed them again without me moving an inch).
  • Huge jump in time here, but I think Jorge's baby came next. This was much the same as holding my nieces--me sitting like a good little boy while those with competence put the baby in my arms. I think I threw some standing up and sitting back down into the mix, but I was still mostly just frozen in fear.
  • The next baby I held was Blaine and Colleen's. Aidan came early so he was a little guy, but with Humpy arriving not so long from now I couldn't in good conscience shirk the baby-holding this time around. (This is probably a good time to explain why handling newborns scares the bejezus out of me: fear of letting the head snap back combined with fear of inadvertently touching the fontanel. It seemed impossible to avoid both of those danger zones.) Fortunately I was taught the ancient secret I'd somehow missed over the first thirty-two years of my life: make a V with your forefinger and middle finger, and support the head that way. This makes for very easy baby-transferring from one person to the next. Get your V in place first, then get hold of the rest of the baby. (I'm sure 98% of the world all knew this already, but this was BIG NEWS to me. So thanks for filling me in before. Assholes.)
  • Then this afternoon, we watched Mark and Tania's daughter for a few hours. Claire is just over four months old now, so she's not one of those teeny-tiny, bejesuz-scary babies, but it was the first time I'd been responsible for the entire care of a baby--feeding, changing, putting her to sleep, etc. (For the record: Sarah did all of the hard work (i.e work that related to poop), and her magical singing voice was what lulled Claire to sleep, but I like to think I was a contributing member of a team.) It went really well, all in all. She was tired, hungry, and confused by the bearded stranger at first and this let to some pretty serious screaming, but after a long nap she was golden, and we had a really good time taking care of her. It was confidence-building, and as a bonus we have that fresh baby smell all over the house. That's one for the Yankee Candle people: I want a candle that smells like baby. Hotcakes, that would sell like.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a member of Team Get Claire To Sleep, you can say your contribution was not singing, as that would have only traumatized her.
Anonymous said…
The best part of the Hannah story is that, when you held her, she was already nine months old. And she is now almost 14. WE ARE OLD!
Anonymous said…
Dude, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I think that a lot of people (read: guys) are fraidy-cats when it comes to baby-handling.

Once you have your own, though, you'll feel REALLY self-conscious for about ten seconds.

After that it fades away when you click with your youngster.

You'll be just fine, manus.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.