Skip to main content

These Ribs That Show Through T-Shirts And These Shoes I Got For Free

This will be a quick one because I’ve zero free time lately, but I also don’t want five days of concerts to pile up.

Sunday, we caught The Weakerthans play, which was officially the first complete set we’ve seen so far. They were out-friggin-standing. It’s always much harder to describe something you’ve enjoyed as opposed to something you didn’t. They played every single song we hoped they’d play… along with one we hoped they wouldn’t (which we’ll only refer to as “The song that makes Sarah cry and cry and cry.”) I think these guys have a universal appeal, which is remarkable when you dissect individual facts about the band. If I were to say to you “there’s this band from Manitoba, their lead singer used to be a member of the anarchist punk band ‘Propagandhi,’ and their lyrics are inspired by poetry, visual art, and philosophical works,” that sounds like a band that you don’t want to see. But I challenge you to listen to “Our Retired Explorer,” “Watermark,” or “Tournament of Hearts” and not enjoy the hell out of yourself.

Last night, we caught Matthew Good and James Taylor (as two separate acts, not one—which would have been weird). Sarah’s not a huge Matthew Good fan, and I’m not the superfan I used to be, but I still had a good time. Nice cross-section of his hits, and he sounds more or less identical to his records when you hear him live. Brother’s looking a little bloated, though. Check the Ottawa Citizen photo gallery if you don’t believe me (but do it soon because it’ll be buried in more recent pics as the festival grinds onward).

After this is what James Taylor. The place was rammed with people. I think we’d only ever seen it that busy for The White Stripes last year. He was great. I can’t help but compare it to Steely Dan. Lots of similarities: age, mellow(ish) set list, huge freaking band—but J.T. comes out easily on top in that contest. He’s got great presence. He’s a total gentleman, chatting casually with the crowd or introducing his band-mates. His song are just… better in general. And mellow, feel-good catalogue of songs notwithstanding, the band still rocked out from time to time (the kick-ass end of “Mexico” being the best example there). Sarah might chime in with a more complete song list, but I know he played “You’ve Got a Friend,” “Sweet Baby James,” “Carolina in My Mind,” all the classics, along with covers of “Everyday” (Buddy Holly) and “Hound Dog.” Big thumbs down to the version of “Steamroller” they played. J.T. spent the whole thing singing in this weird, lips-sown-together, fakey blues drawl. Entertaining for about eight seconds; after that it was like watching your dentureless grandfather try to rap after about twenty ounces of whisky.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Actually - he covered "Everyday" on an album; it is a big hit of his.

He also played "Fire and Rain", "Shower the People", "Your Smiling Face", and a cover of the Dixie Chicks' "Some Days You Gotta Dance".

I must admit that this was not the first time I had seen JT; I saw him with Brady over a decade ago. He is looking a lot more like Robert Duvall these days, but sounds THE EXACT SAME.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.