Skip to main content

Black Dresses and the Paparazzi

Kathleen Edwards is crazy pretty, let me just get that out there off the top. She also seems strangely approachable. Maybe it’s because she’s from Ottawa, or because she doesn’t take herself too seriously. I mean, if I found myself face to face with with James Taylor, I’d be so overcome by his New England charm and his shiny, bald dome that I wouldn’t be able to say a thing. But I feel like I could walk up to Kathleen Edwards on the street and just say, “Hey there, how’s it going! Can I buy you a shawarma or something?”

For her set, she wore a long, black dress that the emcee called ‘Oscar worthy’. (Rightly so.) A few songs in, she addressing the crowd: “This is the last day of my twenties. I wore this dress to sort of commemorate the occasion. I don’t usually wear dresses for a show because I’m afraid that a gust of wind will blow it up over my head, and then…” she gestured to the dozen or so photographers at the foot of the stage, “… and then the Ottawa Citizen will get the shot they’ve always wanted.” She played a lot of songs off her new album, but also threw in every song I was familiar with from the previous two. And she closed with “Back To Me,” which kicked my ever-loving ass it was so good. And it was drowned out only occasionally by my screaming “YEEEAAAAAAHHHH!” every thirty seconds. (CBC Radio 2 will have the recording available on demand, although it's up yet at the time of this post.)

Brian Wilson, on the other hand, was the lowlight. Probably the most depressing bit of live music I’ve ever seen in my life. He came out, sat on a stool, and let his band take the reins. When his turn came to sing, he croaked out some words, and occasionally he snapped his fingers to the beat (but awkwardly, like he'd never used his arms before), and there was just zero emotion on face the whole time. His band compensated with wild enthusiasm, and they were actually quite good; had Brian Wilson himself not appeared on stage, the show would have been so much better. And I know he has a history of severe mental illness, I understand that. I guess I just don’t understand why he’s touring when he so very clearly does not enjoy it. Neither did we, by the way. I could only take about three songs and then I had to walk away. And then the sound died completely for about ten minutes. Which, you know, made his set so much less depressing…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.