Skip to main content

This and that

Last Friday was World Trivia Night, which is a fundraiser for the Champions for Children Foundation, held annually at Landsdown Park. Format in past years has been similar to the trivia we used to do at the Barley Mow back in the day—not coincidentally as it’s written by the same trivia mastermind. This was our first year playing (Isha’s second), and our team—Los Pedanticos—ended up in a four-way tie for nineteenth place. Adding up all the ties, we came in around sixtieth overall, which isn't so shabby seeing as there were (I think) over two hundred teams. And the questions were F-ing hard, too. The theme this year was people, and for each round it would be a different group, say: The Canadians, or The Russians. We got our asses smoked on The Chinese and The Russians, rocked The Irish and The Italians, and put in a not altogether awful performance on The East Indians.

Unrelated but also vaguely event-y: our OSSC team just played its second round of dodgeball—a double-header, no less. So so so so so very much better than that first game. I don’t mean to toot my own horn but… well, that’s a lie. Watch me toot, people. I had some awesome throws. Low, curvy, right in the shins. Just fucking beautiful, if I do say so my self. A few good catches as well. And as far as I can recollect, absolutely no stupid, could-have-been-dodged-by-my-mom, direct hits. There’s hope for me after all. The first game had more than its share of animosity, some of it related to confusion over rules, most of it related to the other team getting hit a lot but pretending they hadn't been. Came out 12-9 for us, which was sweet and just. Second set of games didn’t count for us, only for the second team. (Long story having to do with there being an uneven number of teams.) Totally different than the first game. Fun team, no cheating, no rule related bickering. And we lost, but we were pretty damn tired. My arm feels awful jelly-like right now, but strangely my leg hurts even more. That’s my leg of bracing. My leg of justice, if you will.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would like you to re-write this article as if you were Frank Miller writing about the Spartans.

Not to say that your article is bad. It's awesome.

I just want to hear you incorporate the words "Sparta", "dining in hell" and "check out how the moonlight shines off my buttocks as I contemplate the fate of my kingdom".

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.