Skip to main content

Standing completely still: not one of the five Ds of dodgeball

So yeah… dodgeball.

Here’s what I want to believe: that I’m just not as nimble as I was when I was thirteen years old. But talking it over with Jorge this morning, we came to the agreement that perhaps I wasn’t nearly as awesome at it (back in the day) as I like to think. Little kids—even the sporty ones or the overgrown, brutish ones—can't throw particularly fast. Playing against grown-ups can be like trying to dodge cannon fire. That said, I don’t want to oversell our competition. They were okay. Far and away the best thrower was on our team. But I would have to say that eight of ten throws, coming in my direction and with any decent velocity, hit me pretty squarely. There are two flaws to my dodging strategy:
  • I start the dodge before the ball has even been released

  • During the dodge, my limbs move like crazy but my core stays in just about the exact same spot

Holy hell, did I play some lousy dodgeball.

But it’s not all bad news. We won, and by a good margin, which is always awesome. And I got my moment. I finished a game with two against me, picking one of them off, then catching the next throw immediately afterward. Outside of that, I played a pretty craptastic couple of games.

The strangest thing of all is that I want to improve at this more than any other sport we’ve played. And I don’t know why. It’s such a fundamentally stupid sport. Nobody cares if you’re good at dodgeball. It’d be like training to be better at Red Rover. And yet, I want so very badly to improve. To the point where I’m rethinking my diet and wondering if yoga would help my flexibility. This feeling will probably go away with the next eight hours. Probably.

Whatever. It was a good time. And everyone came back to our place afterward, which was hella fun. For the record: Booze and Sundaes are the new Wine and Cheese. You heard it here first.

Comments

Beth said…
I want booze and sundaes. Will you feed me booze and sundaes when I'm there in December?
Dave said…
Until you're throwing up one or the other or both. You bet!
Anonymous said…
Your description of your dodging strategy?

Kermitesque.

You heard that hear first.
kris said…
I'm with Beth. I also had a decent comment until I reached the part about booze and sundaes. Now my brain is like mush. Or soft serve ice cream, whichever you prefer.
Anonymous said…
Can you please enlighten me? What are the five D's of dodgeball?
Anonymous said…
Dodging
Diving
Dancing
Divining
Dildo

Don't look at me.
I didn't make those up.
Anonymous said…
I'm trying to figure out how Dave is going to pratice that last "D"....

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.