Skip to main content

I wouldn’t like me if I met me

The Fall season of our All-Sort-of-Sport league launched on Tuesday, and it’s a pretty busy time, what with all the kicking ass and taking names. Sport One was floor hockey, which I went from dreading, to being ambivalent to, to anticipating, and then (after we won our back-to-back games) totally loving. The first team was good, and they owned us in the beginning until we got our act together. The second team was really quite terrible--to the point where every member of our team got a goal, even yours truly. After wiping the floor with team two for the first short while, I think we did a very good job of letting them sneak in a few goals without letting them know we were letting them sneak in a few goals. It was 20 – 10 by the end, so kudos to us.

Two observations I come away with from that game:

  • I’m a wuss – At the onset I thought everyone was being hyper-aggressive. I remember thinking, “Geez, guys—dial it down a notch!” As the game went by, the feeling totally disappeared, even though the level of play was about the same. Reflecting on it during a break, I realized that it was the noise that freaked me out. Floor hockey is noisy as shit, with your plastics sticks, and your gym floor, and your squeaking, slidey shoes. But until I got accustomed to it, my default was to boo-hoo about it.
  • Skillz – The difference between being truly terrible at floor hockey and being not terrible at all is so minor. Here’s the key: don’t let the other guy do what he wants to do. It's a good rule for pretty much every sport, but I definitely saw it in action on Tuesday. In the first game, no one on the opposing team was a superstar, but the players on defense were on top of us the whole time. You really had to work to get a shot off or complete a pass. Cut to game two where the other team's defense gave you distance. And I mean distance. I remember being close to their net, and being up by about six goals at that point, so really taking my time, doing this big elaborate turn and thinking that someone would steal the ball in the fifteen seconds it took me to complete this turn. But when I finally faced the goal again, the guy covering was about eight feet to the right of me. Just ... waiting. I couldn't not score, you know. Don't let the other guy do what he wants to do. True for floor hockey, true for soccer, true for Ultimate Fighting. Just true.

I have pretty vivid memories of floor hockey in high school. I hated it with the intensity of a thousand suns. Nine of ten guys at my school played hockey, and had been playing it since they were wee. And I sucked so bad then. They put me in net because I couldn't do anything else, and I remember literally diving out of the way if the ball rose off the ground on its way towards me. I also remember being the ref for a gym class game and, not knowing shit about shit, calling a penalty every time some one brought their stick more than eight inches off the ground, or every time someone's stick collided with someone else stick, until the entire class pretty much started ignoring my whistle outright. And I was so mad at the time, but in retrospect, if I was a slightly smarter or sportier kid who'd known me back then, I probably would have kicked the shit outta me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
One thing I have to say about you, Dave, is that you're consistent. No matter what you do, you try your best. Whether you end up liking it or hating it, you have a good run.

Another thing I have to say is that you are not afraid to try new things. Bungee jumping, rock climbing, mad cow sex-a-thons, you really put yourself out there.

It would be cool to watch you play floor hockey. I can see you really get into it. And then getting mad. And then there's that roid rage...

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.