Skip to main content

Wednesday Movie - To Kill a Mockingbird

It’s a huge treat for my when I pop in a classic movie and end up enjoying it. It’s not as typical an occurrence as you’d think. Like sitting through Strangers on a Train—I’m glad I saw it but I didn’t have fun watching it. Or Giant; I was glad to cross that one off my list, but I watched the clock just as much as I watched the movie. It seems that I’ve adopted the same attitude towards watching a movie as I used to have towards reading a book: you will finish this, goddamn you. Just grit your teeth and plow through it. Don’t get me wrong—most of these Wednesday Movies are films I really wanted to see. This wasn’t one of them. I was overly familiar with the story going in, and Gregory Peck (no matter how deep of voice and cleft of chin) was neither a draw nor a turn on for me. Of course, I was all wrong about this movie. Having now seen it, I’d count it among my favourites.

I loved the kids in this movie; they were just perfectly cast. And I haven’t traced their careers onward through IMDB because I want them to only ever have acted here. They’re simply kid-like kids, not insanely aware of their own precociousness (like that aw-shucks red-afroed kid in Annie), and they’re not Dakota Fanning-style child-savants, they just are. Scout is a perfect tom-boy, Jem is a little man, and Dill is weird-looking and dorkily dressed in a way that seems timeless

And then there’s Atticus. Gregory Peck plays the most perfect hero I’ve ever seen in a movie. He’s the moral compass, and yet he remains strangely realistic. I say this because there isn’t a line that comes out of his mouth that’s not a lesson for the kids or a demonstration of his justness. He is Right, and yet he’s so much more than just a device. On top of this, he’s superdad: he’s sweetly compassionate with his kids, but he’ll never lie to them; and he can make with the law, but he’s also a crack shot with a rifle. The truth telling is probably why you love him best. When asked either an emotionally or intellectually challenging question by his kids, he’d never say, “It’s magic!”

While it’s a story that deals in morality, it isn’t Moral; it’s very real, and the fear and danger in it are honestly come by. There’s the bogeyman fear—Boo Radley’s shadow on the wall while the kids are trespassing—and there are scenes of the kids encountering grown up fears for the first time ever—like when a drunken, violent-looking Bob Ewell shambles slowly towards the car as Jem sits inside, alone. It’s all made real exactly because of the children. They’re kids too young to fully grasp the type of extraordinary man their father is, and they’re the only ones truly shocked when the jury brings back a guilty verdict against Tom Robinson.

Clearly, I loved this movie. It’s one of a very small number of films that almost made me cry. It’s one particular scene early on that gets me, where Scout is talking to Jem about their dead mother just before bed, and the camera pans out the window and over to Atticus on the front porch, who’s hearing it all. ‘Was Mama pretty?’ ‘Uh, huh.’ ‘Was Mama nice?’ ‘Uh, huh.’ ‘Did you love her?’ ‘Yes’. ‘Did I love her?’ ‘Yes.’ Other scenes in other movies that almost got me in the same way: when Joel and Clementine say goodbye as the beach house falls to pieces around them in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And of course, when Arnie gives the thumbs up as John Conner lowers him into the pit of molten metal at the end of Terminator 2. Man, that last one—I’m getting verklempt just typing the words.

Comments

Reel Fanatic said…
This truly is a flawlessly entertaining movie .. plus, without ever being hokey, it's that rare flick that you can show to kids and have them learn just about all they need to know to go out and face the world
Anonymous said…
You know, I've read the book about a hundred times, but I've never seen the movie. After this review, I think I might have to.

(Although how you can mention To Kill a Mockingbird and Terminator 2 in the same entry I cannot fathom.)
Beth said…
You didn't enjoy watching Strangers on a Train? For shame, David, for shame! I really liked that movie!
Dave said…
Actually, now that I really think about it, Strangers on a Train wasn’t the best example to use. I actually did like it. Except for the end, where Scheming Crazy Guy and Tennis Pro Guy get in a fight on a merry-go-round, and then the carny operating it gets shot and the ride stars spinning out of control, so fast that the cops who try to jump on bounce off, and then the two guys struggle, and then Heroic Old Man climbs under the ride and shuts it off, and as a result the fucking merry-go-round explodes.

That probably wasn’t my favourite part.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.