Skip to main content

More on Death Cab

There’s something about listening to Death Cab that makes me want to write. There are some folks out there—writers, friends of mine—that are just brimming with ideas. I’m not like that. I’ve written exactly one story in the past five years, and in part that’s because I don’t make the time to write, but largely that’s because I don’t have ideas burning away in my brain.

More than reading, more than watching movies or television, more than real life, I’m inspired to write when I listen to music. I don’t know why. Back in University, I wrote a novel based largely upon the song City Full of Cowards (which, if you haven’t already read, you’ll never read). It’s not god-awful; certainly it’s better near the end than at the beginning, but I could never be bothered to go back and make it good enough to show anybody. It’s also baldly autobiographic in parts.

But back to the point, there’s something about Death Cab’s lyrics that give me an itch to write a story. And it’s not in the poetry, it’s just a line here or there that I can really see. “So everybody put your best suit or dress on. Let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once.” These are lines that make me suffer a fake nostalgia; they aren’t scenes from my past but they feel like they are, or maybe I just want them to be. A Death Cab album is just one miserable song after another, but it’s a romantic kind of wretchedness. “You may tire of me as our December sun is setting, because I'm not who I used to be.” It’s about lost loves, and bad times, growing old. It’s riveting misery, which is the kind of thing I love to read, and the kind of thing I'd like to write.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"It’s about lost loves, and bad times, growing old. It’s riveting misery, which is the kind of thing I love to read, and the kind of thing I'd like to write."

Brilliant, Dave, brilliant. It takes a special mind to realize that we all crave to hear about someone else's misery.
Anonymous said…
You must be talking about Armagiddy. Of course, I could be wrong.

I have no idea who Death Cab is.
kris said…
You might actually get me to listen to this.

A welcome change from the Dick Marx CD I've got on repeat.



crickets.
kris said…
And a second comment . . .

Leaving a mark on this site is seriously more difficult than than getting Federline to shower.

I had to enter a word verification phrase (yyysl&78jackass920llol) and then log in to Google with my mother's maiden name and bra size before it would let me comment.

And now I will do it again.

Humph.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.