Skip to main content

More Movie Marathon

Alright, we have a date: January 13th, 2007. Same venue as last year (Scotiabank Place won’t sponsor us after all, those bastards), and same time as last year (10am – 10am). Now it’s on to movie selection. For those of you that are new to this, this will be a two-step process. First, I’d like to gather any and all movie recommendations. If you’ve already submitted something then I’ve probably noted it, but feel free to check against the list below. Get any additional movie suggestions back to me before midnight on Sunday, November 26th.

After that, I’ll circulate the master list in spreadsheet form and ask everyone to rank each selection. When those results are in, I’ll do a little formula magic and see what’s popular. That said, this isn’t a democracy. I’ll take the group rankings under advisement, but at heart I remain a cruel and petty dictator.

And now: the current list. This includes anything that’s been suggested to date, along with the movies that didn’t quite make it last year, but also didn’t rank abysmally. (Sorry Xanadu.)

A Hard Day's Night, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Airplane, Alien, Apocolypse Now, Bad Lieutenant, Badlands, Battle Beyond the Stars, Beavis and Butthead Do America, Being There, Belle De Jour, Best of McLean Eats (Vol. 1 to 25), Billy Jack, Boondock Saints, Boys N the Hood, Brick, Bubba Ho-Tep, Call of Cthulhu, CB4, Chinatown, City of God, Class of 1984, Clerks, Dead Alive, Diner, Dirty Harry, Do the Right Thing, Dolemite, Duck Soup, Eraserhead, ET the Extra-Terrestrial, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Five Deadly Venoms, Frankenstien, Freaks, Ghostbusters, Glengarry Glenross, Grand Prix, Gray Gardens, Happy Accidents, Harlan County USA, Highway 61, Hostel, I Heart Huckabees, In the Mouth of Madness, Ishtar, Kentucky Fried Movie, King Kong, Kung Fu Hustle, Life is Sweet, MASH, Mean Streets, Midnight Cowboy, Mildred Pierce, Miller's Crossing, North by Northwest, Oldboy, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ong Bak, Pink Flamingos, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Pulp Fiction, Raising Arizona, Re-animator, Rear Window, Roadhouse, Rocky, Saw, Shawn of the Dead, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, Straight to Hell, Suspiria, Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song, The Big Lebowski, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Deer Hunter, The Devil's Rejects, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Fly, The General, The Godfather, The Hitcher, The Jerk, The Mack, The Magnificant Seven, The Outsiders, The Party, The Prince of Darkness, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Seventh Seal, The Shawshank Redemption, The Towering Inferno, The Wicker Man (original), This is Spinal Tap, Trainspotting, Twelve Angry Men, Very Bad Things, Way of the Gun, Wild Reeds.

Comments

Mark Hand said…
I have some more suggestions. There's Battle Royale, where Lord of the Flies meets Kill Bill, and District B13, which takes coolness to a whole new level. A French level!

I would also add John Carpenter's second best movie, Big Trouble in Little China (you already have his best, In the Mouth of Madness, on the list), the excellent H.P. Lovecraft adaptation Dagon, and the most terrifying movie of all: Dave and Sarah's wedding video. Ooooh, scary stuff, kids.

Looking forward to it.
Beth said…
BATTLE ROYALE! BATTLE ROYALE! BATTLE ROYALE! It is a FANTASTICALLY good movie. And I would say that even if I hadn't watched it with a hot boy.
Anonymous said…
Ah...
BTILC.
Such a great movie.

Looking forward to it.

Are we doing the theme drinking?
Anonymous said…
Wow I would love to attend something like this but it seems unlikely. That being said, it doesn't stop me from having an opinion.

Big Trouble In Little China is truly a piece of art. Kurt Russell's absolute peek performance.

Jorge, I like the theme of 'Drinking'
Anonymous said…
Wow - I think that list is long enough already - I'll refrain.

But I'm still working on making it to the marathon itself!
Unknown said…
I'm not sure what the critera is for suggestions, but there is a really great french movie... that's dark and twisty.

Delicatessen. It's freakin' fabulous!

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.