Skip to main content

Maxing, Relaxing. Shooting Some B-Ball Outside the School

I should have something about Bermuda up by now, but we just had the greatest lazy weekend that I remember having in ages. I left the apartment only once—to run an hour’s worth of errands—and I don’t think Sarah has even looked out the window since Friday at five. Don’t be afraid: we’re not stacking mason jars of our urine or growing two foot beards Howard Hughes style, we just luxuriated in doing nothing. I had all the time in the world to write about our trip, but that would have conflicted with my set-in-stone plans of relaxing, broken up by the occasional bout of chillaxing.

Sarah read about nine books and watched only a moderate amount of Veronica Mars (she’s on a campaign to get the whole world to watch it, so if she hasn’t knocked on your door yet, she will, and soon). I reread The Catcher in the Rye for the first time since high school, and watched Belle de Jour, Midnight Express, and The Aristocrats. I also had The Third Man, that Metallica documentary, and Princess Mononoke standing by, but after the third flick it started feeling a bit too much like work. I should at least make some kind of comment on what I watched and read, but I still haven’t shaken of the lazy.

We also bought a PVR this weekend, which I’m officially in love with. Too long have I spent cursing out my American friends and their access to TIVO. No longer. The saddest thing is that I only just found out Canadians had access to this TIVO-substitute about a month ago. Jeezus—I can now pause live TV. Shove your flying cars up your assess, people. The future is here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Couldn't agree with you more sir! PVR is where it is at. Of course mine seems to be full of Pingu and Teletubbies (which is not fit for adult consumption) ... but that is a different problem.

My advice ... record everything you plan to watch but do something for about 30 minutes before you start (to create your commercial buffer). Commercials are the enemy. Nothing is as upsetting as 'catching up to realtime'.
Dave said…
Agreed!

Also a pisser: when you're watching and taping a show, but you're about 20 minutes behind, and the machine finishes recording and immediately launches you into real time.
Anonymous said…
I'm envious, Dave.

Although I have recently discovered that most of my shows are available online with very few commercials.
Anonymous said…
I usually don't watch most shows until they come out on DVD.

With the exception of House and Lost.

Seeing as we won't have cable, I doubt we will have a PVR, rich boy.
Anonymous said…
Glad you guys had a good trip!
Did you get a tan? White boy?
hehee

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.