Skip to main content

It was a dark and stormy cruise...

Sarah and her father are the same, in that they fixate in an identical way. This is at its most notable when it comes to travel. They get the idea to go somewhere, they mull it over for about a day, and the trip gets booked. This is how Bermuda happened. After coming back from our last cruise, her dad watched prices like a hawk and found a super cheap cruise to Bermuda, leaving from the very drivable New Jersey. He brought it up one day when we were over for dinner, we agreed that sounds nice, two days later we’re chucking our money at Celebrity Cruiselines once again.

And so, on August 30th, we jumped on board the Zenith. It was smaller than other Celebrity ships we’ve been on, but it had the same amenities so size didn’t really matter (until later). We set off within view of the New York City skyline, and made a two-day beeline to Hamilton, Bermuda. Departure day was spent wandering the ship, unpacking, sipping contraband rum that we’d slipped on board in water bottles (because we’re sixteen), and meeting our dinner mates (a nice couple from Connecticut). First day at sea saw us sleeping in, gambling (okay, just me), gorging ourselves stupid, and reading (Blink – outstanding; Tishimingo Blues – just sorta there). Because it’s a smaller ship, and because we’re in the middle of the goddamn Atlantic, you tend to really feel any rough water. There’d been a storm nearby, so the ship was rocking a little bit. It was mildly unpleasant, but nothing too nauseating. Yet.

Monday—Sarah’s birthday—we came to port in Bermuda, docking in Hamilton, the capital and the largest city. The island itself has a population of about 70,000, not much of a metropolis but it is a decent size. This was probably the warmest day of our trip. We walked around for a short while, but eventually the searing heat passed through our skin and into our very souls. We decided to sign up for an island tour by cab. Great driver, hilarious tour patter. The island itself is beautiful—and affluent; average annual personal income is around forty-thousand USD, real estate prices are fucking exorbitant. All the roofs are made of limestone and designed to direct and filter rainwater into storage tanks in the basement. Houses get painted twice a year due to erosion from salt water.



In the afternoon, we took a fast ferry (alliteration that Beth will appreciate) across the Great Sound to the Royal Naval Dockyard, the home of British ships for over 400 years. It closed several decades ago, and it's now where the larger ships that visit Bermuda dock. We puttered around, bought some delicious rum cake, and popped in to a bar so that we could try Bermuda’s two national drinks – the Rum Swizzle and the Dark and Stormy. Sarah’s Mom tried the former – rum and fruit punch, which she liked – while the rest of us opted for the Stormy, a mix of Ginger Beer and Dark Rum. AMAZING. We each had another, and Sarah and I promptly bought Ginger Beer so that we could use our contraband rum to make Light and Stormies in our room. After ferrying it back to Hamilton, we did some souvenir shopping, then headed back to the ship. At dinner that night, the waitstaff and maitre Ds brought cake and sang Sarah a rousing, atonal Happy Birthday.

Tuesday morning, Sarah and I headed off to Horseshoe Bay beach while her parents went on a glass-bottomed boat excursion. There was a strong current coming in, so after tanning for two hours we played in the waves for a third. Diving into a giant wave Hasselhoff-style is one of my favourite things to do at the beach (the other is to dig a really fucking big hole). That afternoon, we went off on our snorkeling excursion, run by Jessie James Snorkelling. Last time we’d snorkeled, I had issues with the seal not keeping on my mask because of my beard, so this time I was sure to be clean-shaven. It was the first time I’d shaved my beard in about three years, and I regretted it as soon as it was done. While it makes me look about five years younger, it also makes my mouth look really tiny and the rest of my face look fat. Not a sexy look, people.

On Wednesday, we woke up in St. George’s, which is at the Northeastern tip of the island. It’s fairly dull in comparison to Hamilton. A lot of tourist-y shops, a lot of semi-historic buildings. We walked around for a few hours, visited an unfinished church, stopped at the town square where I volunteered to climb into the stocks and to get flogged against the flogging pole. Later on, we hit Tobacco Bay, which is a small, circular, gorgeous beach that never became overly crowded while we were there. No waves this time, but Sarah brought swimming goggles so we saw fish and got mouthfuls of yummy saltwater all the same. Our last day in Bermuda, we strolled around some more, then had a few final hours of tanning on the deck of the ship. I was especially inept with the lotion this time, so I ended up with an awesome and inconsistent burn on my chest; Sarah had the same on her back.

The last day at sea started fine and then became terrible. The morning and early afternoon were filled up with gambling, shopping, wine-tasting, and movie-watching, but by about two o’clock the water started to get especially rough. We’d learn later that we were traveling into a Nor’easter, complete with 25 foot swells. No word of a lie – waves were coming up over the windows of our stateroom on the sixth deck. No one barfed, but the four of us were bedridden for most of the night, and about half of the passengers were too sick for dinner. Making it worse was the fact that we had to pack up and have our luggage out in the hall by midnight, so basically we’d get up, pack for as long as we could (usually three minutes), then jump back into bed feeling twice as sick as before. This stretched the packing out to a marathon session. The top two lines that were uttered throughout that evening were: “I feel yarfy,” and “Don’t touch me when I’m sick like this!” We also made a dozen Perfect Storm jokes, and then adding insult to injury, The Perfect Storm actually started playing on TBS. We laughed for about a minute, but then we returned to our regularly scheduled program of pitiful moaning.

Overall, we loved Bermuda and liked the ship fine. From a customer service and dining perspective, Celebrity spoils the shit out of you, but as far as killing time on the ship goes, there’s not all that much to do. This is okay if you’re on a go-go-go cruise to the Baltic or the Med, but noticeably dull when you’re on a more leisurely itinerary. In that case, Princess is the way to go.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I barely recognize you without your beard.

Anyway, teach me how to travel every three months. Seriously.
Anonymous said…
You guys go on more cruises than . . . ummmm, people who go on a lot of cruises. Haha.

Yarfy - the most awesome new word EVER.
Beth said…
FAST FERRY!! w00t! Fast ferries (and their bringing down my NDP government) are the reason that my tuition quadrupled every five days! Go alliteration!

Also, I would like to point out that when Sarah was visiting me and we had rum & diet Coke in plastic bottles to sneak on the bus, Sarah proclaimed that she thought this part of her life was long over. Apparently not!
Anonymous said…
"Sarah’s Mom tried the latter"
should read
"Sarah’s Mom tried the former"

sorry bud, but that's what friends are for - merciless editing.

oh, and Goslings is the best kind of rum for dark and stormies... hard to find at the LCBO but worth the hunt.

glad to hear you had fun in Bermuda. bastards.
Jay said…
Does that mean that the ship doesn't serve alcohol?
Anonymous said…
I have to say that I quite enjoyed many Dark and Stormys on the recent cottage weekend I went on. So good.

Who knew that shaving your beard makes you an Anime Character.

Sounds like a great time. Again, you’re slowly wearing away at my resistance to go cruising. Maybe one day…
Dave said…
Bill: We brought two bottles of Gosling's and four bottles of Cruzan back with us. Shit's tasty, yo. Also: you're a dick.

Jay: No, plenty of booze to be bought on board, but we'd rather sneak on a $12 bottle from duty free than pay about five times that on board. We're alternately decadent and miserly. It's how we afford the 75 annual cruises that we've grown accustomed to.
Beth said…
I went to The Reef yesterday (a Caribbean restaurant... and sine it's in Vancouver, they make jerk tofu!) and, having remembered your glowing recommendation of the, I tried A DARK & STORMY! So freaking good!!!

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.