Skip to main content

The glove compartment is inaccurately named, and everybody knows it

We caught Death Cab for Cutie last night at the Ottawa Civic Centre. Fantastic, fantastic show. Enjoyment aside, it also left me feeling hipper, happier, and more handsome—that last one because we looked at the band’s press photos later that night (extraordinary talented but doofy-looking bunch, there).

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists opened up. I knew Ted Leo by name only. We’d visited Katie back about two years ago, and she and her then-boyfriend couldn’t stop talking about how much they loved him, the conversation clocking in at around sixteen tlpm (“Ted Leo”’s Per Minute). Now that I’ve seen him, I don’t blame them. Holy shit does that guy put on a good show. Plainest looking guy ever, looking like your middle-aged uncle, but he kills on guitar. I want to pick up an album, but I think he’s been doing his thing for fifteen years so I don’t know where to start. Help me out, Katie.

Then it was Death Cab. Two things surprised me about the band. First, the way Ben Gibbard plays guitar when he sings. He’s very… flaily. I’m sure there’s a better word to describe it but I can’t think of what that might be (and though the magic of YouTube (and some dude’s cell phone camera,) you can see for yourself). Isha put it best: “I thought he’d just stare down at his shoes the whole time.” The second surprising thing was that they put on a bona fide rock show. The typical Death Cab song is unhurried, contemplative; I didn’t expect them to rock out that much. But they jumped and flailed, rocked out and horked. Yup, that’s right—Ben Gibbard: huge spitter. And not in the I’m singing the big Broadway number and can’t help myself style, more hork one into the air so it’s backlit by the stage lights and the whole audience can have a look. So, yeah, I guess that makes it three surprising things about the band.

The set list, as far as I can recall and in no particular order, included: “We Looked Like Giants,” “Transatlanticism,” “The Sound of Settling,” “Title and Registration,” “The New Year,” “A Movie Script Ending,” “Photobooth,” “What Sarah Said,” “Crooked Teeth,” “Your Heart is an Empty Room,” “I Will Follow You Into The Dark,” “Soul Meets Body,” “Marching Bands of Manhattan,” “405,” “Pictures in an Exhibition,” and some random song. If you’re unfamiliar with the band, you can take a listen to what they offer on their main page, and their media page. Ted Leo has also got a handle on this newfangled MP3 technology, so you can hear some of this stuff too. If you follow no other link that I’ve got here, at least check out his link for “Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?” So good.

Comments

Jay said…
Very cool. The first time I saw them they were the opener and I had no idea who they were, but the songs have a way of sticking to the insides of your skull.
Anonymous said…
Ted is adorable; not plain. Yay, Ted!

And that's EX-boyfriend!
Anonymous said…
Dave has introduced me to a lot of music. I value his opinion greatly.

But then I secretly hate him because I always end up spending more money on music each fiscal period because of him.

I love you, you musical bastard.
Beth said…
What, no "Prove My Hypothesis"? That's the only DCfC song that I know (because another scientist told me about it... "tee hee, they said "hypothesis"!"
Anonymous said…
You're definitely hipper - it seems like Death Cab for Cutie is THE band to love these days.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.