Skip to main content

The Nickel, the rain, and The Beef

We woke up Saturday morning with a few cobwebs on the brain, but not so bad considering the drink we’d consumed the night before. First order of business was to check out the Big Nickel, which beats the Big Apple, the Snow Countess, and the Giant Tire for Best Big Thing I Have Seen. In the process, we got the chance to drive by giant piles of slag (not that kind of slag, this kind of slag) which apparently glows like an alien landing when they pour it out late at night.


After this, we went shopping for clothes, exploiting Leanne’s staff discount all over Sudbury (okay, just at the one store). It was cold and a little misty, so we headed back for jackets, and then Leanne directed us to Onaping Falls. On our way there, the gentle mist turned into a mighty downpour, so we hung out in the car until the weather improved. Then we had a short hike, checked out the falls, climbed over rain-slicked rocks, and someone who was not me fell on her butt.

Next, we bunkered down at Leanne’s for a few hours and began a long stretch of drinking. Some of us showed off our mad skillz with the internets, some of us played caps, some of us showed off our complete lack of reflexes, and some of us had our hair styled. Derek came home around seven and we ordered in sweet, sweet Chinese food, then drank some more, then it was off to The Beef.

The Beef ‘N Bird might just be the towniest of all townie bars I’ve ever been to. It was awesome. About ten minutes into our stay, a scary old he-cougar helped Sarah find the bathroom, and probably would have shown her how to use it if he’d been allowed. There was also a band, one that we mocked at the time, but the more I think about it the more I realize they weren’t half bad. Compared to the song stylings of twenty different Guess Who wannabes I’ve seen in Georgetown, these guys at least played some contemporary stuff. At top volume. On their amps that went to eleven. To a crowd of about fourteen people. But they didn’t give a shit; they were totally into it. You’d think we were a stadium packed to the rafters from the way they played. The last thing I’d like to say about the Beef ‘N Bird is that I saw neither beef nor bird, although the old man offered to show us "two handfuls" of the former.

All in all, we had a great time in Sudbury. Thanks Leanne and Derek for a great weekend! Come see us soon!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Big things.
http://www.bigthings.ca/
Anonymous said…
Sundbury?

:)

Sudbury is somewhere that I haven't visited in a long time. The last time being with my parents, and me being too young to drink (in public).

Ah...
To be back...
and Drunk...
Anonymous said…
soooo thanks for a great time! Your blog made me laugh. FINALLY I made it on the blog! MUST do it again...1 more....

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.