Skip to main content

I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me

June 17th – Travel to Dover Day—not something I’ve been looking forward to. More than anything, I’ve been anticipating that moment where we first walk up the gangplank, get greeted by the welcoming staff, and get handed that complimentary glass of champagne. But between me and that moment is a two hour van ride through the countryside.

Our driver is a nice lady, probably late fifties, and the van is comfortable enough. It’s equipped with a talking GPS device that she calls Veronica. I suck at small talk but Sarah and the family are up for the task, so I pop on headphones for a while and follow that up with a nap. Two hours later, I wake up glad that we’re almost there... except that we’re not. We discover that Veronica has totally shit the bed, taking us miles out of the way and running us in circles, and when the driver calls her dispatcher she finds out that we're somehow still two hours away. I'm thinking 2001 thoughts, pulling Veronica's memory chips out one by one as she sings Daisy, Daisy to me in an ever-weakening voice, but unfortunately it doesn't come to that.

Once that ordeal is over it’s all good though, because I’ve got that glass of champagne and I’m home. We unpack, and Sarah leads the tour of the boat, deck to deck and bow to stern. Then it’s time for the dreaded muster drill. By law, cruise ships have to run a drill where the passengers are summoned down to muster stations and shown how to put on a goddamn lifejacket. And it’s mandatory. I’d been swearing for months that I’d skip it, but Sarah wants me to go, and her mom is very Follow The Rules, so I keep the peace and tag along. In the end, it’s actually sort of fun. The jackets have a small light that’s supposed to light up when the receptor cord touches water. I test this out on my tongue, and to the amusement of all, it works. Sarah’s dad, Scientist Man, is very excited: “Dave just demonstrated the Principal of Galvanic Action.” But then when I say, “I’m probably not the first guy to put my tongue on this thing,” he agrees and adds, “Yeah, the last guy probably had syphilis.”

June 18th – First day at sea.


Number of times Sarah’s day expressed his fear that he might not enjoy cruising: Forty-eight
Days on board before Sarah’s dad pronounced, “I love cruising!”: One and a half
Number of days before Sarah’s parents booked their next cruise: Three

June 19th – Oslo. At breakfast, we’re told that Sarah’s mom sprung out of bed at five in the morning, threw open the curtains and exclaimed, “Fjords!” This becomes the day’s catch phrase.

It’s a drizzly day as we disembark, but it's the only bad weather we’ll have for the cruise. Oslo strikes me as a city that’s properly laid out, as if they'd envisioned the advent of the automobile long before they came to be. The buildings are old, beautiful designed, but not ostentatious. It’s a remarkably clean city as well, and the people are beautiful. Even the storefront mannequins give me Norwegian Wood. (Come on; I couldn't resist.) During the previous day’s destination lecture, we were given a few interesting facts about the country. It’s affluent but socially minded, and so all schooling, from kindergarten to University, is federally funded. Life expectancy is unusually high; you have to be sixty-seven to be considered a senior. And the crime rate is remarkably low, to the point where crime is not just unexpected but something they’re unprepared for. Example: in August of 2004 criminals walked into the Munch Museum in broad daylight and walked out with Munch's “The Scream.” It's still missing to this day.

There are two museum stops today. One is the Norwegian Folk Museum, which is filled with olden days farmhouses and the like, and—at least to me—it isn’t worth significant further description. The other more noteworthy stop is the Viking Museum, within which are three ancient ships—two of them in near perfect condition. The ships are monstrous, and a marvel of construction (except for how they leaked constantly). Turns outnot a great life really, that of a Viking. Lot of sleeping on sodden wood, a whole lot of rowing and bailing, not nearly as much rape and pillage as the recruiters had you believe.


Fun Boat Fact

Starboard is so named because it’s the side where your steering board was. And you brought your ship to port on the opposite side of that so that you didn’t tear the bejesus out of your steering board.

Comments

Beth said…
lol! I can so see Sarah's dad saying "Dave just demonstrated the Principal of Galvanic Action"!

Also, should they really tell a bunch of foreigners, "No one here expects crime!" Isn't that kind of like saying "So, pick a few pockets while you are here!"?
"Science Man" sounds so much cooler than my dad, "Evolution Denier Man".
Perhaps not as enertaining though.
Anonymous said…
Jeremy's right - "Science Man" does sound fun, much more fun than my "Meth is Good for All My Troubles' father. :-)

AND --- I LOVE FJORDS!! In pictures, that is. I haven't ever seen one in person. But they're on my list.
kris said…
While Munching on Goldfish (TM) crackers, I think of Screaming when I think of cyborg-like van drivers.

That was probably too munch.
Anonymous said…
I learn so much when I come here.
Your blog needs theme music.
Beth said…
"I’m also more of a man than anything else, but I’m still not much of a man."

But Dave, I thought you were like any man, only more so?
Anonymous said…
Maybe all men are really not as much man as they think?

Dave is a man.
An ordinary man, but moreso.
He wears clothes in the "extra medium" size range.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.