Skip to main content

Dispatches from Georgetown - Friday

I’m sorry; I haven’t been to your site all week. I’ve been in Cubicleland since Monday. Whereas in Ottawa, I have the safety of my office from which to blow good company time catching up on people’s blogs, I don’t have the same luxury here. As far as my own posts go, I’ve been writing them each morning on the train and then finding three minutes in my day with which to upload (while watching nervously over my shoulder). I’ll catch up on everyone when I’m back. Yes, I still love you. Except Kris—I’ve been skipping your site on purpose. Just because.

After work Wednesday, I met Jorge on the subway and we went to Axis in Bloor West. He has a gallery of his photos hanging there for his show that opens Saturday Night. (Go, check it out, buy his work. Yes, I’m talking to you.) Despite the fact that we went there with the expressed purpose of seeing his photos, somehow that slipped my mind when we first walked in. We selected our table, and I looked at the photo hanging above it, thinking that’s pretty cool. Then I looked at the one beside it, and thought that’s a great picture too… wait a minute! I remember who took these now. It would seem that I’m very stupid! A short while later, we were joined by Jorge’s lovely wife, and then by his lovely Reay. Nachos, burgers, cervezas, onward.

Back at Jorge’s, we watched the second episode of a two-part House, followed by a kick-ass episode of Lost. (And at no time, were the merits of one show versus the other debated. For once.) Sarah doesn’t watch Lost so it was good to finally catch an episode while in the same room as other people who give a crap. Instead of yelling “Holy shit!” at the TV, I could yell, “Holy shit!” to Reay. Then he would console me—sweetly and generously. After the shows were done, the night was filled with beer and Gamecube. I rediscovered my love for the game Snafu (for the Intelevision.) I think that game would continue to kick ass if it were released today with an online, multiplayer option. Video game people of the world, I say onto you: get on that. And don’t change anything; don’t make it 3D, don’t change the soundtrack—it’s perfect as is, big-ass pixels and all.

Thursday I was pretty goddamn tired, but I dragged my ass through the day. After work, I had a date with Shatton at the Jack Astor’s in Brampton. It was our first time meeting in person, and it did honestly feel a little date-like, especially how we sat on the same side of the booth and shared that milkshake. He’s a cool guy, and he sounds nothing like I thought he would (but no one ever does.) Unfortunately, I had to run pretty early, as I had another meet-up that night. I have a black hole in my brain where my Map and Globe Skills should be, so date one was in Brampton while date two was in Acton (which aren’t actually beside one another like they are in my imagination.) I stopped by to see Chris and Laurie with their new place, their sweet patio, and their Karate Kid predilection. Had my first Kokanee in about ten years, caught up on my St. Francis gossip, and then rushed home to crash.

I’ve had a great time here, but I’m getting steadily sicker with each passing day. I’ve got this fucked up cold that makes me feel like I’ve got emphysema (Alcohol-Related Emphysema, even), so I’m looking forward to a good night’s sleep, seeing Sarah, and spending 40+ hours in my pajamas. Rock.

Comments

Beth said…
Not the dreaded A.R.E.! Do I have to do research on that now too?
Anonymous said…
It was great to see you again. Hopefully it'll happen at least once more before the McLean Movie Marathon(TM).*

I felt a bit out of place with you three as runner d00ds and me a guy who's on his ass in front of a computer 10 hours a day at work and then comes home and aspires to write; which generally involves being on my ass longer still, but I'll be getting a bike soon so at least feel like I'm worthy of sitting at the same table as you guys. Hell, I'll totally be able to one-up you. ("You can't run 5K? Pfft. I can bike 5K in my sleep!")

Also, I'm frankly surprised you didn't have a Kokanee when you were on the left coast. SO much better there than here, because they make it with local water. (Speaking of which in no wholly realted way, I remembered the name of the chocolate milk you MUST try when you're out there next: Avalon. I know it doesn't start with an L like I thought it did, but shut up and run your stupid 5K.)

Hope you feel better.
A.R.E.'s becoming a damn pandemic.

----------------------

*I'm so making a logo for this, by the way. It may look presicely like three McDonald's "M"s, though, so please ensure you have a good lawyer, just in case.
Anonymous said…
PS - Is Jorge dead? He usually comments on your entries within fractions of a second of them being posted.
Anonymous said…
You are in such high demand, Dave - how do you fit everyone in?

I hope you're having fun in your pajamas right about NOW.
Anonymous said…
Dave - You are too kind my friend. The things you will say when I pay you are phenomenal. And for such low, low fees! I need to hire you to pimp me more often. The opening went well, but I will get to that on my own blog tonight.

Reay - Dude, you are definitely more svelte than you used to be, and you're making the effort. I may be able to run 5K, but you can certainly write a more stylish 5K than I ever will.

Courtney - How does he fit them all in? Muscle relaxant and fisting practice.
Anonymous said…
JORGE --> HHAHAHAHAAHAHA!! Oh my god - sometimes you just crack me the fuck up. Although, I'm kind of disappointed to hear that Dave uses muscle relaxants. I've always done it the old-fashioned way.

;-)
Anonymous said…
Courtney - Horse tranquilizers is also a cheating methodology.

Don't be calling the kettle black.

;)
Chris Vagg said…
Glad you could stop by...hopefully you'll be able to make it out with the wife for some patio debauchery with the St. Francis crew this summer....okay, well honestly, it will be just me sitting on the deck drinking beer and ducking for cover while Jorge's family seeks me out for revenge. :)
Dave said…
Reay, you may have missed a vital part of our conversation about running, because if we sounded in any way fit we were probably talking about the glory days (they'll pass you by in the wink of a young girl's eye, you know.) These days, I can't run up my front steps without stoping for a fucking smoke.

Chris, we needed your patio back in the day. Don McLean's patio did the job I suppose, but if we were on a patio like yours we might even have had girls over! I know, I know--I'm talking crazy talk.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.