Skip to main content

Wednesday Movie - Singin' in the Rain

I’ve watched nearly a dozen movies since my last Wednesday review, and nearly all of them were worth talking about, but I never got around to writing about any. Some I vetoed because they didn’t grab me, but in other cases I just didn’t feel there was anything to say that hadn’t already been said. Schindler’s List, for example—what can I add to tomes that have already been compiled about that one? Plus, as Isha put it, “critiquing Schindler’s List is like critiquing the Holocaust.” So let’s leave that one alone and talk about Singin’ in the Rain instead.

Entertainment Weekly named it the tenth best movie of all time. So did the American Film Institute. IMDB users (a group rife with fanboys and gonads for certain, but not the worst judges of film merit in the world) ranked it 63rd in their Top Movies of all Time list. Does it deserve these accolades? Um, sure. Which is not to disparage it, but just to say that I’m probably not the best judge. While I like modern musicals, this old school, big production number, one-hundred-women-cascading-into-a-pool business isn’t my thing. Generally.

Set in 1927, Singin’ in the Rain deals with Hollywood’s coming to terms with the end of silent pictures. It stars Gene Kelly as one half of a famed silent screen duo who, as a result of the success of The Jazz Singer, are forced to make a less-then smooth transition to sound. While their first talky is plagued with innumerable technical difficulties, the production is truly hamstrung by the female lead and her horrid, yowling speaking voice. Enter Debbie Reynolds, dulcet of voice and fleet of foot, to provide a voiceover for Kelly’s costar and a romantic foil for the man himself.

What surprised me most about this movie is that it’s laugh-out-loud funny in parts. In a comedy this old, I expect to be amused, maybe in awe of how quick the banter is; I never expect to laugh. But I did here at, least three times—which is more than any Mel Brooks movie has ever done for me. Comedy aside, it’s worth seeing for three numbers: “Good Morning”, the title track itself, and “Make ‘em Laugh”. The first two you know, the last one you might not. “Make ‘em Laugh” is something you have to see to believe. It’s Donald O’Connor—the sidekick—just dancing himself to crippledom to get a laugh from his colleague. Amazing stuff.

And until watching this, I don’t think I realized how damn strong Gene Kelly is. He’s not your typical lithe dancer. I’m not overly familiar with Fred Astaire movies, and I know he too was a phenomenal dancer, but I can’t imagine the ladies going buckwild over him in quite the same way. Looking at Fred Astaire, I imagine that the girls marveled over his grace, and when they looked at Gene Kelly I think they first and foremost wanted to tap that ass.

Singin’ in the Rain flew for me, was just great fun, until “Gotta Dance” came along. “Gotta Dance” is a bloated, twenty minute schmozzle that grinds the movie to a halt about two thirds in. There’s neon signs, set changes, coin-flipping gangsters, a haughty gangster’s moll, and (inexplicably) a ballet dancer wearing an eighteen foot diaphanous wrap. IMDB tells me that this number is an homage to past MGM musicals, which is why I said I might not be the best judge of this kind of movie. This might be a musical afficiando’s wet dream. For me, it just served to stop the counter on my DVD player. I think it even went backwards for a few minutes. I just don’t get off on silly production numbers—like the ones where eighty women swim around in a huge tank doing synchro moves and forming geometric figures with their intertwined legs. (Except when they make a geodesic dome, because that shit’s HAWT!)

Anyways, see it if you haven’t. Skip over “Gotta Dance” and the experience will be that much better.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When they made the geodesic dome did you start yelling obsenities at the government?
(Yes, people, there is a story behind this one. One day you may hear it if you behave well.)

I saw Singing In the Rain when I was a kid. I don't remember a lot of it, but I remember dancing around like an idiot and falling off a couch trying to imitate the dancing man on the screen.

Memories.
Well, the ones that weren't knocked out of my skull.
Anonymous said…
I saw this a long time ago, and I don't think I'll revisit it.

But I would like to see you and Jorge dance!
Anonymous said…
It takes surprisingly little to actually make us do that.

Just some Jagermeister and some Mary J Blige tunes.
Anonymous said…
SINGING IN THE RAIN IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE (well one of many). But that could partially be due to a tap-dancing past. And a HUGE crush on Gene Kelly in my preteen years. (What? It isn't weird- he was HOT.)

Hello I'm Theresa BTW. I may have posted here before- I visit you from Jorge's or Courtney's comments once in a while.
Anonymous said…
A dozen movies (inc. Singing In The Rain)???? I think it's about time for kids
Anonymous said…
I'm with Barry, to a point. A dozen movies is a lot of fuckin' movies, but I'd probably do it myself if I had the time*. Also, on a slight veer from his train of thought, perhaps instead of only older movies, you kids should get out some time and see some new stuff. There are certainly a lot of classics that deserve your attention, but there's some good stuff coming out these days, as well.

Get on that, would you, please?
Thanks.


---------------------

*Or if I lived in Ottawa, which - due to lack of anything anywhere - amounts to the same thing.
Anonymous said…
Look, Dave! Jorge and I brought you someone new!

I think I get some extra points for that.

Or you could just send me money. That would work.
Anonymous said…
Reay: A Movie is a movie, my friend.

Kudos to Dave for saving money fo beer by renting rather than selling his kidneys to afford going to the theatres like rich people do (Reay).
Anonymous said…
Jorge - it's all the Ottawa Public Library. God bless it -- we're seeing all sorts of old movies for FREE!

Barry - keep on dreaming! Although, with my genes - there's a shot that they'd be sports fans. Sens fan, though. Bwaaaahaaa.
Anonymous said…
Sarah - Wow! Nothing is cheaper than free.


Ah....Cheap as free....
Anonymous said…
JORGE ===> Who's selling kidneys? They shut down my operation on eBay years ago. I've got a couple of places through which I can get ticket passes for a bit over half price. Which means a ticket for a new movie is less than twice as much as a video rental. Eez no bad, for seeing things on the big screen and having people talking behind you!
Also, I tried three times to leave a comment on your entry from today, Mr. Jokey-Joke, but each one got hung up when I hit Publish.
Damn Spaces.
Dave said…
For the record, I think it was actually nine movies. And hasn't it been a month since the last time I did this? (If I wasn't on such a shitty connection right now, I'd check it myself.)

Ottawa Public Library is the shit, but I'd agree that all this old movie watching comes at the expense of new movie watching (although I just saw V for Vendetta and The Inside Man, so therefor I am somewhat cool again.)

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.