Skip to main content

I just finished To Every Thing There is a Season by Alistair MacLeod. It was on sale last Christmas at Costco and sold as if it was a new novella—at least that’s the impression I had. Turns out it’s a repackaged, republished short story that first appeared in As Birds Bring Forth the Sun, his second short story collection put out in 1986. And it’s not even that great a story! It’s well written, but there’s just nothing special about it—nothing that warrants a new special edition published in hard cover and puffed up with ho-hum illustrations.

In short, there is a family in Cape Breton waiting for their son to return for a Christmas visit (he works on the lake boats in Ontario). Son returns, they all go to church, then the family open presents and that’s pretty much it. (Okay, so in the background is the issue of the quickly aging parents, and the second oldest son gets invited to open presents with the adult family members on Christmas Eve, thus rewarding his maturity while marking another moment in the end of his childhood—but that’s pretty much it.) Again, I’m not so much critiquing the story as its promotion as “a classic Christmas story, for readers nine to ninety-nine.” You want to make a special edition of one of his stories, use “As Birds Bring Forth the Sun,” or “The Boat,” or “The Closing Down of Summer.”

I don’t imagine the idea was his. I mean, brother won the IMPAC a few years ago; I don’t think he’s strapped for cash. This was someone else’s bad idea.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Repackaging is the name of the game for most these days.
How many DVDs are there for each movie I wonder?

Double-dipping seems to force collectors to shamelessly drop cash for the same thing many times, just because this edition has an extra second of breast!

Silly people.
Anonymous said…
I'll tell you what; I don't believe the hype. He's precious, and he's cheap, and I don't give a damn. I'll grant you I'm in a sour mood; I concede I may not be giving him a fair shake precisely because I've seen him in the flesh and he's Canadian and I'm jealous and so on. But I read the aforementioned collection, and I think I tried. Nope. This old son of a bitch hasn't got enough sand. And that is all.
Dave said…
Maybe. He has been wearing that same hat for the past thirty years.

Nice balls, by the way--using your real name and all. I smell a feud.
Anonymous said…
Maybe that's just the smell of his balls...
Anonymous said…
Okay, I've unearthed the notebook with the MacLeod shit in it. I've posted it. And a lot of other shit of doubtful merit and more doubtful interest. It is a hasty series of appraisals and reappraisals, but probably fairer than the above.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.