Skip to main content

Movie Madness Part 1

The Maltese Falcon

I rediscovered Casablanca about five years ago. (Truth be told, I really only discovered it around then. My first attempt was when I was sixteen, where the pretense of ‘watching it’ with my then girlfriend devolved into a sloppy make-out session before Bogey even hit the screen.) So damn good, that movie. Brilliant dialogue, surprisingly topical for its time, and for a classic, incredibly watchable. After watching that, I walked away with the impression that Humphrey Bogart could do no wrong. But then I watched The Maltese Falcon.

Bad, bad, bad, bad. Bad movie! I wanted to punch the cassette after it came out of the VCR. I wish I’d read the book because my anger would be better justified, but even with my limited familiarity with Dashiell Hammett I can still imagine how mortified the guy must have been over this movie. I’m not even going to recap the story other than to say that there is a bejeweled statue of a falcon, and people want it, and you don’t really find any of this out until you’re far past caring about anyone and anything. A litany of the movie’s sins follow:

  • The dialogue is entirely exposition. It starts with the most uninteresting information dump I’ve ever seen on film. Have you read The Celestine Prophecy? Same thing. Character One enters, opens mouth, vomits information. Character One leaves. Cue Character Two.
  • Bogey takes off his suit jacket way too often. It might not sound like much, but underneath those supercool suits they wore back in the forties, the pants end somewhere close to the nipples and the ties are two inches long.
  • There is the occasional bit of action, but it usually involves Bogey’s lightening quick reflexes and singular disarming techniques—and it’s the dumbest shit you’ve have ever seen. One time, he punches a gun out of some guy’s hand. In a different scene, he grabs the same guy’s wrist and makes the dude punch himself. This was about the time that I thought, didn’t Jorge and I makes this movie in his backyard one time?

I could go on, but frankly I can’t be bothered. This movie made me briefly lose faith in Bogart. Where his stoicism and low, musical cadence comes off as cool in Casablanca, in this one he looks bored at best and a bad actor at worse. So thank God it wasn’t very long after before I watched:

To Have and Have Not

Another adaptation, and another case where I’m largely unfamiliar with the source material, but this movie is superior to The Maltese Falcon in every conceivable way. It tells the story of Harry Morgan, a ship-owner who runs chartered fishing trips in wartime Martinique. Morgan becomes involved with a beautiful woman (Lauren Bacall) who wiles away her time picking pockets in hopes to one day return to America. To provide her with the revenue to get home, Morgan accepts a commission from French resistance fighters to smuggle their leader into the country. This trip inevitably leads him afoul of the Vichy police, endangering his life and the lives of those connected to him.

The behind the scenes story goes that director Howard Hawks approached Ernest Hemmingway suggesting he could direct one of the author’s books, and Hemmingway gave him the rights to what he thought of as his worst novel. In the end, the film adaptation (scripted partly by William Faulkner) bares very little resemblance to its source material. The final result was not dissimilar to Casablanca, except this time Bogey gets the girl (in more ways than one; Bogart and Bacall fell in love during the production.)

Unlike Falcon, the dialogue here is snappy—people actually speak lines that you’d want to remember, instead of just barfing information at one another. Also, there’s a sense of danger because you actually give a shit about some of the characters. And the romantic leads have chemistry. Falcon has this stupid, tacked-on, unbelievable love story that rears its ugly head in the last six minutes or so. To Have and Have Not’s love story is convincing, it seems justified, and there’s a strong sexual element to it. “You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve?” I think Casablanca is a better movie, but the chemistry’s hotter in this one.

Night of the Hunter

I found this one staring up at me a few weeks ago when I was returning something at the library. In advance, I only knew that it stared Robert Mitchum as a widow-murdering preacher and that it was, go figure, creepy. It lived up to its reputation. Mitchum’s character follows the kind of religion “that the Almighty and me worked out betwixt us.” He has the words Love and Hate tattooed on his fingers as a tool to teach about the struggle of good and evil. And he murders those widows but good.

I’ve seen a lot of old movies lately, and I’d started to despise the old-movie-musical-score. Not outright, just the melodramatic musical swells used to force a scene into greater heights of drama or humour. To Have and Have Not is guilty of that a little, and this one is really bad at first but seems to get over that crutch as the movie progresses.

Lastly—young Shelley Winters: sorta hot.

Rent

In general, you can accept the concept of someone spontaneously bursting into song, or you can’t. You’re probably hardwired one way or the other. I usually can, but this movie sent me from belief to disbelief and back again at least a half dozen times. I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t an especially good movie.

You know the story: we’re young, we’re bohemian, we all have AIDS, and we’re not gonna pay, we’re not gonna pay, we’re not gonna pay last year’s rent. (Fine, there’s more to it than that. I really enjoyed the play, and enjoyed the movie alright, but in the end, I just like to mock.) It begins with the curtain coming up on a stage, with the principal actors standing in a line. They sing "Seasons of Love," the curtain closes, the lights go down. Right then, I thought I’m going to love this movie. Then it moves onto the streets of New York and, shortly afterward, into the most ridiculous production number of the film, with hundreds of rent-defying youth burning eviction notices and tossing them down into the street in a rain of fire. Throughout, this is how the movie teeters, from real and affecting one minute (an AIDS support group singing their mantra, afraid they’ll lose their dignity and that no one will care,) to just silly the next (thirty bohos thrusting out jazz-hands and posing for no one in particular at the end of "La Vie Boheme.")

Chicago worked much better for me than Rent did. I mean, I can’t remember a single lyric from it, and I don’t think I ever want to see it again, but Chicago is far and away a better movie than Rent. Strangely, I would see Rent again. The scenes that worked really worked. And the rest of it...

... will hopefully be less embarrassing the next time I see it.

Comments

Rebecca said…
Dave, have you ever seen the movie "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"? Bogey's in it, and so are scenes from To Have and Have Not. Oh, and so is Steve Martin. And it's directed by Carl Reiner. Good stuff.
Anonymous said…
Are you nuts? The snappy patter in The Maltese Falcon is worth the price of admission. Myrna Loy (who went on to make thirty seven Thin Man movies on the strength of a hundred and thirty seven bottles of gin) and Bogart have no sexual chemistry whatever, but trade lines like nobody's business.
The companion piece, of course, is The Big Sleep, which has both great talk and smoulder to spare. You never really know what's going on, but you get Lauren Bacall, and that's enough. I'll admit it right off the top: if I had to pick, it'd be Lauren Bacall. Or maybe that girl from The Neverending Story with the necklace around her head.
Anonymous said…
I'm chiming in on the Bogart debate. I'm on a huge Bogie kick (as in, reading biographies, watching all his movies, reading Lauren Bacall's autobiography...) so I may as well add a tidbit or two.

Pauline -- it's actually Mary Astor in 'The Maltese Falcon' and then again in 'Across the Pacific'. Myrna Loy is a cool chick, though!

'TMF' was the first starring role for Bogart (and John Huston had to fight to get him) -- he'd previously only played mobsters. There's a bit of an edge to him in this film -- he hadn't patented the Bogie charm yet and it shows. God bless Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre, though. They made the movie watchable.

I look forward to seeing both 'The Big Sleep' and 'Key Largo', the only other movies that Bogie and Bacall did together. And, of course, 'The African Queen', for which Bogie finally got an Oscar.

As for 'Rent' -- I must have cried 12 times while watching. Damn you, twenty-somethings with a terminal disease, going to support meetings! As one guy (not a main character) appeared on screen, I turned to Dave and said: "That man has sad eyes and he's going to make me cry". Oh, so right. The movie was odd in many parts, but still affecting.
Anonymous said…
Oh, bother. Mary Astor. That's right. I must have been thinking of Stalag 17, in which Myrna Loy plays the plucky, Jersey-girl Master-At-Arms, and Bogart appears as Chips, the camp Airedale.
Key Largo is cute, but stupid. I didn't like the villain, the plot, or Lauren Bacall's doting father; but Bogart and Bacall are great. The fire's died down by Key Largo, and you can feel them trying to protect it from the storm outside. Figuratively speaking, that is.
Dave said…
Myrna Loy? Are you sure you weren't thinking about Luba Goy?
Anonymous said…
I've seen only the first of that string you just vomited out. ;)

It was aweseom.
I refuse to see the Maltese Falcon, no matter what Ed would say.
Dave said…
You realize that the first movie on the list was The Maltese Falcon, right?

Don't blame this on your broken finger.
Anonymous said…
No, no; he means the first string of mucus you just vomited out. And it was aweseom. Like that trick Doug Henning used to do, where he'd puke into the bowl, and then four times he'd plunge his hand into the undifferentiated vomit, and then hold his fist over the table, and first blood, then phlegm, then yellow bile, and, lastly, black bile, would stream out of his fist and form four neat pools on the table! Voila! The Humours of the Nile! Those were the days.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.