Skip to main content
McLeans are copycats; I mentioned this way back. We bought a dog because my uncle and aunt got a dog. We already lived on the same street, and my uncle and aunt were also Dad’s brother and Mom’s sister, but just to make things all the more familiar, we both got dogs from the same litter. Bandit was the runt, the last one not yet sold, and when we went to check him out he fell asleep in my brother’s arms. There was never really a question that we’d take him home.

I honestly don’t know who came up with the name Bandit. I think ‘Gizmo’ was the only other real contender. If my brother and I had our way, he would have been either Axel or Slash. This is why you don’t let your kid name things. Case in point: Bandit’s brother, named by my cousins, was called Booger.

I’m trying to think about the strongest memories I have of him, but I can only really think of his traits in general. He was loud for a little dog. Back when his sight was still good and he wasn’t totally deaf, it took him about a half an hour to calm down when strangers were in the house. He would bark and growl no matter how many times you said it was okay or told him to stop. You could even perform a small pantomime, with hugs and handshakes to demonstrate your friendship towards the new person; it didn’t matter. Sometimes—not always—if you had the stranger feed him a Kraft Single, he’d calm down in a instant. Mostly, you just had to wait it out.

He had a small bed in the corner of my parents’ room. He usually slept there half the night, and then came whining at my door around two in the morning. I’d let him in and up on the bed, then he’d climb under the covers and curl up on his side with his back against me. Three years from now when I find out I’m sterile, I’ll blame all the nights I unintentionally let the dog slow bake my crotch.

And I can’t write about Bandit without writing about Filet-O-Fish. The phenomenon didn’t make a lot of sense in real life, and it’ll make even less written down, but here it is. Bandit went mental over the words “Filet-O-Fish.” But you couldn’t just speak it, you had to kind of sing it in a high-pitched voice. And the longer you stretched it out, the better: fileeeet-o-fiiiiiiiiish! Damn, that dog would howl when you did that. I mean, he would howl over anything if you sang it that high pitched—eventually. Filet-O-Fish was an instant trigger. Why those words in particular? I vaguely remember one time when he was still just a puppy, where he was chasing my brother around the house. Barry could get away from him pretty easily, and he would hide in closets or behind doors and make noises until the dog found him. Or didn’t occasionally. Eventually, for no good reason I can think of, the thing my brother started calling out was fileeeet o’fiiiiiiiiish. He’d call that out, the dog wouldn’t know where he was, then the dog would go mental. Pavlov had meat powder and saliva, we had Filet-O-Fish and RAAAAOOORAAAOOORAAAOOOOOOOOOO!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah Bandit.
He was one of my favourite dogs.

He'd be the only sober one at most of the parties you had.


ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOW!
Anonymous said…
I've never heard of a dog 'slow-baking your crotch', but, hey, you never know.

He sounds like an incredible dog.
Anonymous said…
In my home, everyone was violently allergic to dog food, so we used El Horno, 'the hot little Mexican oven', to slow-bake our crotches.
Anonymous said…
It takes a genius to recognize another genius.

:-)
kris said…
Slow-baking your crotch is the term of the year.

Beautiful memories.
Anonymous said…
Kaite,

It's not inappropriate if either you or Sarah will be slow baking one of your crotches. Bonus points for both.

Now that is inappropriate.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.