Skip to main content

Friday Movie – Good Night, and Good Luck

I’ve mentioned earlier how I love George Clooney (although not in quite the same way Sarah loves George Clooney). To the reasons I’ve listed before, I’d like to add this: I like where he’s at politically. Clearly the Cloones is a great flaming liberal, but at the same time, he knows he’s an actor. He knows that there’s a time and place to share his political ideologies. This isn’t Richard Gere hijacking the Academy Awards, asking the viewers to beam love, truth and sanity to the opponents of Tibetan independence. The Cloones has subtlety.

In 1950, Senator Joe McCarthy began a rabid campaign against communism in the United States, particularly within the civil service. McCarthy preyed upon the public’s fears of the red menace infiltrating and subverting their government, and over the next four years he attacked politicians, artists, intellectuals, and anyone who dared to question his motives or his means. If you’re not with me, you’re against me. When your faith in your government falters, the communists (or terrorists) have won.

Good Night, and Good Luck tells the story of Edward R. Murrow, the first broadcast journalist to publicly and strongly condemn McCarthy’s actions. With the begrudged blessing of the head of CBS, Murrow and his production team assembled several episodes of their news program, See it Now, which heavily criticized the lack of transparency within McCarthy’s tribunals, the senator’s smear tactics, and his basic disrespect for human rights. While the journalism community stood largely behind Murrow’s actions, Murrow and the station suffered considerable pressure: first from sponsors, then from McCarthy himself who struck back the only way he ever knew, by branding Murrow as a dirty red pinko commie red red commie pinko. Who won in the end? You’ll have to see the movie; that’s the only way you could ever find out.

I do feel a little guilty when I learn something from a movie. It’s just a step above learning-based video games. I’ll admit that I would never have recognized Murrow’s name had I not seen this movie (well, let’s be honest—had I not seen the ads or picked up an entertainment magazine for the past three months.) But I didn’t feel like I was being given a slanted view, or that the movie had been Hollywoodized in any major way. This isn’t a biopic. To my knowledge, it’s incredibly factual.

The strongest part is that it’s bookended with the words of a keynote address Murrow actually gave to the Radio-Television News Directors Association. While the movie suggests undeniable parallels between the anti-communist witchhunt and the war on terror, Murrow’s speech then points a finger at journalism, condemning those who are complacent, those that bow down to corporate influence. In the end, the frame closes in on just his profile, and while he’s not addressing us he is addressing us:

“I do not advocate that we turn television into a 27-inch wailing wall, where longhairs occasionally moan about the state of our culture and our defence. But I would just like to see it reflect occasionally the hard, unyielding realities of the world in which we live… To those who say people wouldn’t look; they wouldn’t be interested; they’re too complacent, indifferent and insulated, I can only reply: There is, in one reporter’s opinion, evidence against that contention."

Comments

Anonymous said…
To me, the Cloones can do no wrong.
The fact that we share a name and a haircut has little to do with this.

Or perhaps everything.

I remember seeing this preview, and thinking that I would really like to see this movie. One of my profs once made reference to Murrow, so my attention was sufficiently grabbed.

Plus, the filming style looks shwanky.

J
Anonymous said…
thanks for the tip, Dave. Looks like I'll have to check this one out, you commie bastard.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.