Skip to main content

Rich, Famous, and Beautiful -- 1.2


Father took in a play twice a year. Not because he enjoyed it, on the contrary, you’d think he was in a dentist chair instead of a theatre. He went because it looked very good. He went to premieres, mostly, hoping to get his picture in society newspapers or magazines. And he only took in classics--classics that had also been cleared by knowledgeable friends. He was petrified of taking in the wrong show, one with male nudity or any of the other scandalous behaviours he’d heard about. So, twice a year, the family would sit through The Twelfth Night or Arms and the Man, and father would remain cross-armed for three hours and then be first out the door.

I enjoyed the George Bernard Shaw plays, because I understood them. Shakespeare might as well have been in Latin for all the sense it made to me. I liked Hamlet and MacBeth because there were plenty of fights and madness that could be understood without the words. But A Midsummer Night’s Dream was a complete waste of my time, and it was also so long that I thought I wouldn’t be able to make it to the bathroom in time. If I was really lucky, we would get to see an Oscar Wilde play. But we stopped attending those early on when my father discovered, through fellow members of high society, that Wilde had been a homosexual. I wonder still exactly what my father feared might happen to us. Was he afraid that audience members would leave thinking, ‘What a wonderful show! Too bad I’m gay now.”

While my father knew nothing of these plays we saw, he went out of his way to meet the important actors and directors. This further helped my father appear ‘in the know’ when it came to drama. He could be asked in conversation, ‘What did you think about how proscenium was dressed?’ and imagine it was a salad, but still appear sophisticated by responding, ‘I’ll have to ask the director when he comes for dinner tomorrow.”

It was in this way that he met the great Alistair Irving. Mr. Irving, when I was sixteen years old, was near the end of a spectacular career. He’d been in the theatre when my father was a boy, and over his lifetime he had played every great role. He’d been both Shylock and Antonio, kings Richard III and Henrys IV and V, Faustus, Henry Higgins, he’d done Beckett, O’Neill, Chekov and Ibsen, and he had studied under Staussberg for two years. He was a legend, but he was now getting quite old. At sixty-eight, his acting was as strong as always, but his movement was poor. His hips were very bad, so he was forced to play his age. And a man at almost seventy is like a woman at forty as far as good roles are concerned.

Our biannual theatre night came only a month after my announcement at dinner. We went to see Romeo and Juliet, in which the great Alistair Irving played old Capulet. He was, as always, acclaimed for his performance. At the time, I only knew him as a mean old man who shook his daughter by the shoulders, screaming ‘Hang thee, young baggage! Disobedient wench!’ I also knew that Romeo had a nice bum.

At the cast party later that night, my father guided the family through the crowd towards Alistair. He cut through a swath of people and planted his hand into the older man’s. It became clear that the two had met on a number of occasions, but it was unclear when.

“This,” my father said, drawing me into the conversation, “is my daughter, Katherine.”

“Delightful to meet you, young lady,” he said.

“I’m sixteen,” I said, importantly.

“Oh, don’t worry, my dear,” Alistair said, “you could be sixty-one and you’d still be young to me.”

My father gave me a withering look before continuing the conversation. “My spirited daughter here has taken an interest in acting.”

“Wonderful. Wonderful.”

“I know that this might be a great deal to ask, but I was wondering if you could offer her some sort of instruction. In regards to acting,” he added, to be certain.

“Well, Mr. Wells, I don’t really have much experience in this sort of thing . . .”

My father smiled and put a hand on his shoulder, “The great Alistair Irving has experience to spare.” I can’t blame my father for his behaviour. He was doing his best for me, looking for the single, best teacher for me. If I’d told him I wanted to be an astronaut, he probably would have approached Buzz Aldrin in the same manner. “I’ll pay whatever expense you deem fit,” he added.

One look at my father’s eight-hundred dollar pants told Alistair that the man before him had a rather unlimited bankroll. “Well, Mr. Wells. Even at my age I’m willing to take on new things. I would love to instruct your daughter.”


If I had a quarter for every time I got caught eyballing some guy's eight hundred dollar pair of pants... I'd have a lot of quarters, let's just say.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's building...

I remember when I read this the first time. I HAD to read the whole thing in one sitting.
You are torturing these good people.
Dave said…
You know the job of 'Dave McLean PR rep' is a non-paying gig, right?
Anonymous said…
You are a lying bastard.
Anonymous said…
Get the Jesus off the fresh cut lawn.
kris said…
You are torturing us!

I need the assistance of you and your erudite peers over on my blog. Stop by when you can. We're talking books.
kris said…
p.s. i love the pic! i need to figure out how to get one up on my blog . . .
Dave said…
Peers,

She called us erudite. Let's get her! Oh, that's a good thing? Ah well, either way, follow me!

http://mamalikey.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
For the not-so-bookish..

Erudite = Learned

As in learnED rather than learned.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.