Skip to main content

Poppy Legs

Let me tell you about the phenomenon of Poppy Legs.

Poppy1 McLean used to go for a lot of walks. He wasn’t an epic walker—the guy was seventy-five years old and maybe five feet tall—so he went to the mall, or to our house: trips that amounted to less than half a kilometer in total. This was typically followed by a two hour nap.

One afternoon, on the short trip from his house to ours, Poppy found himself walking faster all of a sudden. Just a little quicker at first, so not too alarming, but it wasn’t something he was consciously trying to do. Then he found himself going faster still. Of their own volition, his legs were making him speed up. He started getting scared, because the farther he walked, the faster he was going.

Poppy decided he had to stop himself. Maybe he was afraid he would end up sprinting through traffic or he’d eventually trip and sprawl onto his face. So he did the only thing he could: he threw himself down.

On a rock.

Right now, you’re thinking that a seventy-five year old man losing control of his legs and throwing himself on a rock isn’t very funny. You’re probably wrong, though.

No one was there to see it, so the rate of speed and the size of the rock are all debatable. If you ask me though, I like to picture Poppy booting it, body compact, hands arrow-straight like a sprinter’s. And I picture him falling on a boulder. Backwards. Have you seen the episode of The Simpsons where Homer gets punched out by Bart’s foster dad and ends up bent backwards over a fire hydrant? That’s what I see in my head.


1.
For Newfies (and the elsewhere-born children of Newfies) your Grandmother and Grandfather are called your Nanny and Poppy. Just like your Italian grandparents would be your Nonno and Nonna. (In grade school, one of Sarah’s classmates once asked her, “If you have a No-No, does that mean you also have a Yes-Yes?” which, at the telling, I thought classified as one of the funniest things ever said by anyone ever.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm going to hell for laughing at this so hard.

Did your Grandma throw Starfish Shuriken at him just before that? And then did she ride away on a motorcycle?

J
Anonymous said…
... so?

... and?

... did the rock trick work? Did Poppy's legs ever stop moving?

Now I won't be able to get to sleep until I know.
Nice.

Why must you torment us with these incomplete stories?

Jerk.
Anonymous said…
Hey Reay,

"Jerk"....that'll help you get to sleep.
Dave said…
I can't leave you hanging. The rock trick worked. Poppy limped home and the phenomenon never reoccured.

However, we McLean grandchildren fear that the Poppy Legs gene could be lying dormant in any one of us.
Jay said…
Well you're wrong, I laughed at that, found it funny. Didn't even have the good sense to be embarrassed or guilty of it.

I have a Nanny, but a Pa instead of Poppy.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.