Skip to main content

As a modern day Samurai, I have some problems with this film

Today, we introduce a new feature that I like to call: Seeing the Movies I’d Always Meant to See. Or SMAMS if you prefer. (Or not. Perhaps a rebranding is due in the next quarter.) It takes a certain kind of movie to make this list—I’ve always meant to see Young Frankenstein, but that’s not quite what we’re talking about here. These are the epics, the feel-bads; the Schindler’s Lists, Mystic Rivers, Seventh Seals; the ones you check out at Blockbuster and think about for three seconds before renting You Got Served instead. The plan is for this feature to show up every other Wednesday. There’s going to be suffering involved here, for me and you, so doing this weekly would be a bit too much to ask.

I hadn’t seen Seven Samurai until today, despite the fact that I’ve owned since October. I also haven’t seen The Magnificent Seven, The Wild Bunch, or any of the other homages or remakes (although if it’s any consolation I have seen Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Seven Rides for Seven Brothers.) The story begins with a small group of farmers who discover that marauders are planning to sack their village after the upcoming harvest. At the urging of the village elder, several of the farmers head to the city to hire samurai to defend them, and with only rice as payment the villages end up with a rag-tag group of ronin—some that are especially noble, others that are adventure-seeking, and one guy that’s just really hungry. The samurai return to the village where they set up defences, turn the spindly farmers into spindly farmers with sharp sticks, and eventually save the day. In the end, the human cost is comparatively larger for the samurai then for the farmers, and while the villagers sing a song of victory akin to the Ewok Jub-Jub Song at the end of Jedi, the samurai reflect on the graves of their fallen comrades.

Films snobs make this movie out to be more then it is. I’m not saying it isn’t great, and I’m not arguing that it doesn’t deserve its classic status, but to audiences that are familiar with this type of story, it isn’t an exciting movie. It’s three and a half hours long, and the climax of the film—the marauders’ siege—takes three nights to unfold. This is not a thrill ride, folks. But for some reason you get people like the critic at Criterion saying: “An audacious use of slow motion in the sword fight scenes of chapters four and seven give them a highly sophisticated dramatic charge. And that’s not to mention the climactic battle scenes, whose brilliant staging and heart-stopping pace rival the finest work of Griffith, Gance, and Eisenstein.” Heart-stopping? Not so much. And the ‘action rivals’ he name-drops all died in the goddamn forties. Apparently that’s as good as it gets; when it comes to pace and staging no one has topped the charge of the clan in Birth of the Nation.

Then over at imdb there’s a faux Ebert who gushes: “Each of [the movie’s] characters is extraordinarily realized; each has his or her own arc, his or her own vital part to play in the film's slow progression towards its dramatic finale.” Again, totally untrue. Of the seven samurai, there are admittedly three developed characters: Kambei, the old but battle-wise leader; Kikuchiyo, the orphan son of a farmer who only masquerades as a samurai; and Katsushiro, the youngest of the seven, who falls for one of farmers’ daughters and is also quite likely in love with one of the warriors. But after that, the rest are all single trait characters: there’s Stoic Samurai, Jovial Samurai, Old Friend of the Main Samurai Samurai, and Samurai Who Likes to Cut Wood. Seriously.

All other points for the movie are true. It is the prototype for the modern action movie, it is rich with emotion, and the story is patiently told and fully realized. But part of the problem is that it is the action movie template, which means that we’ve seen this movie done better a piece at a time in a thousand different films. I reiterate: great, should be seen, restored, celebrated, all that, but it’s no Casablanca; it’s no Godfather. It’s not perfect. There’s actually a ten minute block of it that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Three of the samurai find the marauders’ hide out—a group of shoddy huts. Everyone inside is asleep, so the samurais decide they will burn the huts and kill the men as they flee past. So they set the huts alight, and they watch, but then for some reason when the marauders wake and flee in a panic, the samurais don’t kill them. Instead they laugh. And boot a few in the arse. And shove a few into the mud. Why? Hard as I’ve tried, I can’t imagine. Then my absolute favourite part follows: one of the farmers tries to save his wife from a burning hut and Samurai Who Likes to Cut Wood tries to restrain him from dying in the fire. But the man won’t be stopped. The farmer frees himself from the samurai, shoves him roughly to the ground—and then the samurai dies. I swear to God. I played it back four times to make sure I didn’t miss a stabbing, or a gunshot, or a heart punch. Nothing. A rough shove to the ground is enough to kill both Burgess Meredith in Rocky III and one of the seven samurai.

Although I haven’t seen it yet, I expect I’ll have the same feelings about Rashomon—that it’s more renowned for creating a type of storytelling then for being as effective now as when it was released.

Tune in next time when I discuss the artistic merits of The Five Deadly Venoms.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hrm.

I'm surprised you gave it such a basting.

Being the sentimentalist, as well as a student of Japanese asskicking, I quite like the movie. It does not exactly follow the action template that Hollywood does.

In fact, Japanese movies usually are plagued with a lot of subtlety that us Nord Americans just don't get.

This is not my favourite movie, by any stretch of the imagination.

But it should be watched. Considering when it was made, it's pretty amazing.

Now, the twist.
Recently, a Japanese Cartoon (read: ANIME) was created called Samurai 7. This is an other-worldly remake of the old classic. I highly recommend this series. It is 26 episodes long. Each episode is 20 minutes.

And by the way, sieging a village defended by Samurai does take a long time.
Anonymous said…
I like how you semi-crucify the movie, and then you whore the product in your sidebar.

You capitalist bastard.
Jay said…
Meh. The best rating I ever gave a movies was "Yeah, I'd see that again, to see the spots where I got up to pee."

And believe me, such high praise does not come up often.
Dave said…
First off, let me say that being critical of the movie makes me feel a tiny bit better about shamelessly whoring the product on my sidebar. I did wrestle with whether or not to add the amazon links, but then I figured if my discussion of a movie or a book makes someone go out and order it, I might as well make my eight cents off of it. It’s not as if it’s costing the consumer any more as a result, and it’s not as if I’m saying, “SOOOOOO GOOD! Go! Buy it! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!” I’m actually, more often then not, saying, “Hey, this movie was kind of shitty, but if you’re still interested, give ‘er.”

In this case, I’m not saying that it’s a shitty movie. It’s extremely difficult to say something new about a fifty year old movie that people smarter, louder, and with a more encyclopedic knowledge of cinema then I have haven’t said already. In these cases, I’m going to focus on the things that haven’t been said as much. And if there’s nothing more to say, then I’ll just link to Ebert’s site and sign off.

And yes, there are subtleties that we Nord Americans just don’t get, like the subtleties of the English language.
Anonymous said…
I love you, Dave.
Anonymous said…
Seriously, though.

I guess I basted Dave's Basting, which was not my intent.

Well written, my man.

And yes, I still love you.
With all my pants,
Jorge
Anonymous said…
Careful, Jorge.
You'll make Gloves For Hands jealous.
Dave said…
FYI, the title of that post comes from the title of a comment posted by some fanboy on imdb. I don't, in fact, consider myself a modern day samurai. A modern day Don Juan, however, ... also no.
Anonymous said…
I have the same issue with some classic films which I've seen aspects of or cinematography like in more modern films or stories - and done better. Had much the same experience with reading 'I, Robot' for the first time within the last year. Like... this is what the fuss was about? Dude, c'mon...
But then you have to remember that in context, it was a huge deal. It - like with Seven Samurai - was the first to do things that it did (or said, etc.)
Doesn't make it any more enjoyable at the time of the initial experience, but may put a bit of a different spin on it in retrospect.
Or... y'know... not.
Anonymous said…
The Five Deadly Venoms rocks, man.

It's right up there with Mystic Arts of Snake and Crane!
Isha said…
"Seven Rides for Seven Brothers"?

Suddenly you have made a cheesy yet quaint movie about 7 brothers finding wives into something much less innocent. I guess they were getting desperate.

49 rides...that's a lot of shags (can you tell I'm in England now?)
Dave said…
Actually, there was only a ride a brother. Not that I don't still recommend the movie...
Anonymous said…
Which brother did you touch last?

I want to be sure to spray him with D-sinfectant before I shake his hand when I meet him.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.