Skip to main content

The time I kicked Nate in the crotch

It was October and my last year of University. Four or five of us were hanging out on the front steps of our apartment, probably drinking and probably waiting for our hot neighbours to walk by. For whatever reason, we got on the topic of martial arts. We’d all, to some degree, taken karate, or tai-kwon-do, or judo, or knife fighting, or some frigging thing over the course of our childhood, and so we started sharing stories about the cruelties visited upon us by our respective senseis.

I told the story of how, for the week I’d taken karate, I always had to be wary of surprise crotch-kickings. Whenever we did our kata (standing in a line, punching the air, and screaming) our sensei demanded that we keep our thighs rock-solid to prevent an attack from behind (because when you’re walking down a dark alley doing your kata, that’s something you have to worry about.) To keep us wary at all times, he would walk up and down the rows of students and occasionally hoof people without warning. Believe it or not, the leg-tensing worked.

Story told, some of my friends had doubts. So I stood up, tensed those marble columns otherwise know as my thighs, and said, “Go ahead.” My roommate Josh stepped up and tried for a field-goal. No dice. I can’t say it made my thighs feel great, but the goods remained intact. Then my friend Nate stands up. “Try me,” he says. I walked over, wound up, and gave him a nice shot in the groin. Nate hit the ground like a bag of crap.

What we’d all forgotten was that Nate weighs about one-hundred and ten pounds soaking wet and wearing a ten pound hat. He’s got legs like chicken bones and my kick met no resistance on the way up. I still remember the feeling of my shin bone colliding with his pelvic bone. Poor bastard.

Maybe sometime I’ll tell the story of when I kneed Sarah in the groin, though that one’s not so funny. Well, not ha-ha funny.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah yes. One of the greatest stories ever told. Man, you made my day. We have so many stories, we could probably create our own web journals!


...wait...


J
Anonymous said…
Is this your sensei?

www.abhaya.ca/video/kick.wmv
Anonymous said…
No.
That's no one's sensei.
It's a Roshambo tournament.
Dave said…
Actually, it was this guy:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/people/chuck_norris.htm
Anonymous said…
Hey Dave
So who is Nate, or Josh are you changing the names to protect the innocent. Well no one is onnicent so dont bother. I want to see my name in one of these stories, I want my 15 minutes in blog infamy. Hook me up brother.Len
Dave said…
Len,

You're right. I do owe you and the rest of the Fanchette household a shout out. Still mulling over my options. I want to tell the one about when you guys tickled Sue until she peed--twice--but I wasn't actually there at the time.
Anonymous said…
As a writer, you are entitled to a little bit of poetic license. And by that, I mean you can just make shit up.

Kinda like the rest of your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.