Skip to main content

It's a wonderful night for Oscar

There’s enough time left that I might actually see all the Best Picture nominees before Oscar night rolls around. To date, my personal best is four of five. I love the Oscars and can’t really explain why. I’m likely the only straight man you know that sits through the whole thing year after year. (For what it’s worth, I skip most of the red carpet coverage. Does that make me at all more masculine? No, I didn’t think so either.)

We’ve caught only The Aviator and Sideways so far. Some folks who read my thoughts on The Aviator came away thinking I hated it. Not true; I thought it was brilliant. It’s just that I saw it long after it had been released, and what more could I have said about it that others more intelligent, more qualified, or more masculine hadn’t said already. It was a great movie, but at the same time I don’t want to see it again for about fifteen years. It doesn’t match T2 or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back for rewatchability, if you know what I’m saying.

Sideways was a disappointment. I liked it enough, but with the hype machine screaming Best Picture so loud, I just expected more. I think that Thomas Haden Church deserved the nomination but shouldn’t win, that Paul Giamatti got ass-jacked, and that Virginia Madsen played a very good Virginia Madsen. There were parts of the movie I loved, like when Miles downs the contents of a spittoon; I don’t think I’ve ever gone from mild amusement to deep-hearted shame so quickly in my life. In the end though—Best Picture? I say no, and I’ve still got three movies to see.

It’s silly, really, to try and compare Sideways to The Aviator to Ray. In a recent Entertainment Weekly, Chris Rock talks about how awards in art don’t make sense. If Clint Eastwood and Jamie Foxx both played Ray Charles, you could honestly judge who did the better job, but how do you rank them playing two different roles? Fair enough, awards for art are in no way objective, and the Oscars are particularly corrupted by the marketing war chests of bigger studios, but in the end the goal is to canonize movies. It guides the taste of movie buffs and the general public, for right or wrong; more for right than wrong in my opinion. This isn’t the Pulitzers, we all agree, but I’ve enjoyed more Oscar winning movies than I have Pulitzer winning novels.

No one is arguing that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is infallible. This is, after all, the institution that picked Ordinary People over Raging Bull. This is also an institution that touts this lady and this dude as voting members (who shouldn't be dictating anyone’s tastes about anything at this point.) But in the end, there’s no awards ceremony like it. And there will always be upsets, but sometimes the arguments about it are the best part. What do you enjoy more: agreeing with VH1’s 40 Most Awesomely Bad Metal Songs Ever, or screaming out “You bastards! Unskinny Bop is definitive nineties rock and roll, it saved me from the gutter, my wife from the pole, and nothing will ever rock harder ever! EVER!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Shame?
Try having your friend zip up your pants because you are too drunk to do it yourself.



...wait...
Anonymous said…
You'd better see Million Dollar Baby.

That Jorge guy is weird.
Jay said…
My vote is cast for Napoleon Dynamite.
Anonymous said…
I'm happy to have you meet three other straight men (wait, there's more) who sit through all of the Oscars: me, Alex (http://ratspeak.blogspot.com/) and Big Dan.
All of us are big movie fans, and we've all watched the whole of Oscars (we're with you on the Except For The Red Carpet thing, by and large) for... well... years, at least. More than just a few, too. Several. Many. A lot.
Thus, the solution is simple: move to Toronto within 10 months and invite us over for dinner and drinks on Oscar night, and we can be the Four Straight Dudes What Watch All Of The Oscars Except The Red Carpet Stuff So Much (FSDWWAOTOETRCSSM, Toronto chapter).

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.