Skip to main content

For Your Consideration – The Aviator

The Aviator, Martin Scorsese’s twenty-ninth feature film and second biopic, stars Leonardo DiCaprio as brash visionary Howard Hughes. Though ending well before Hughes’ ignoble end, the film depicts nearly all aspects of the billionaire’s life: as a filmmaker, as an avionics mastermind, and as a world-class kickboxer. Hughes’ obsessive-compulsive behavior, though debilitating, made for a truly manic life. Before the age of thirty-five he’d completed the trifecta of testing and crashing a plane he’d designed, romancing Katherine Hepburn, and defeating Frank Dux in the bloody Kumite. And this is only the beginning.

But one can’t speak of the film without discussing the use of colour. The hues and saturation change to suit each decade. Even Hughes’ mood has its effect on the colour scheme: he’s surrounded in crimson and grey while convalescing after a brutal crash, and resplendent in fuchsia and aubergine during an ill-fated May-December romance with fellow billionaire William Randolph Hearst. As Hearst himself, Scorsese makes his largest and boldest cameo to date, his frontal nude scene surely what secured the film’s R rating. (If you thought the eyebrows were crazy, watch out for the shag carpeting downstairs.)

Certainly the film’s most harrowing scene is the plane crash that nearly ends Hughes’s life. The billionaire’s ribs are shattered, his collarbone is crushed, and his skull is fractured. While no normal man could rebound, Hughes, imbued with an indomitable spirit and encyclopedic knowledge of engineering and metal craft, rebuilds the broken pieces of his body. He is presented on stage at a gala as the world’s first functional cyborg. Scorcese chooses to go on this high note, but any Hughes scholar knows that only tragedy follows. At the end of his life, the cybernetic parts take control over the flesh and blood man and Hughes is left alienated: a prisoner in his own body. While this lowlight is left out, one must admit that the biopic is a fair one. Every facet of Howard Hughes—the aviator, the lover, the filmmaker, the martial artist, and the cyborg—is shown unflinchingly, flaws intact.

Comments

Anonymous said…
But can he ride a shopping cart as well as Radio can? COME ON!
Anonymous said…
Hey!

U R Gé!

The Truth
Anonymous said…
I haven't seen The Aviator yet.

I hate you.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.