Skip to main content

"Photograph" - Nickleback

You’re all thankful that this song is fading from your memory, but it’s come back into my life now so I’m forcing it back into yours. I’ve started to listen to MSN Radio at work, which is not bad and also less buggy than Accuradio seems to be. I’m partial to the alternative station, but the downside is that I hear Nickleback’s "Photograph" eighty-five times a day. When it was released last summer, every format and every station played it on a goddamn twenty-four hour loop. Somehow, without our knowing, Chad Kroeger was elected Chair of the CRTC, and now there’s nothing we can do.

The guys from Nickleback have never been brilliant lyricists, but this song is a very special kind of crap. Let’s get to it, shall we? (Be sure to follow the footnotes below.)

Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red?
And what the hell is on Joey’s head?(1)

And this is where I grew up
I think the present owner fixed it up(2)
I never knew we ever went without
The second floor is hard for sneakin’ out(3)

And this is where I went to school
Most of the time had better things to do(4)
Criminal record says I broke in twice
I must’ve done it half a dozen times

I wonder if it’s too late
Should I go back and try to graduate
Life’s better now than it was back then
If I was them, I wouldn’t let me in

Oh oh oh
Oh god I, I

CHORUS
Every memory of looking out the back door
I had the photo album spread out on my bedroom floor
It’s hard to say it
Time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye
Every memory of walking out the front door
I found the photo of the friend that I was looking for
It's hard to say it
Time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye(5)

We used to listen to the radio
And sing along with every song we’d know
We said someday we’d find out how it feels
To sing to more than just the steering wheel(6)

Kim’s the first girl I kissed
I was so nervous that I nearly missed(7)
She’s had a couple of kids since then
I haven’t seen her since God knows when

CHORUS

I miss that town
I can't believe it
So hard to stay
Too hard to leave it
If I could relive those days
I know the one thing that would never change

CHORUS

Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
Every time I do it makes me…(8)

1. Dude, I’ve seen the video. It’s just a lampshade. Unorthodox? Yes. What-the-hell worthy? No. Unless it’s a bong you made out of a lampshade, in which case some confusion is understandable.
2. Rhyming a word with the exact same word: well played.
3. And again.
4. Suddenly, Chad Kroeger finds the AA BB rhyme scheme just too hard to follow. “My art doesn’t follow your goddamn rules. I’m a trailblazer. I’m a cowboy. If I wanna not rhyme, I’m gonna not rhyme. If I wanna lop words out of a line until what I’m saying doesn’t make any fucking sense, that’s what I’m gonna do. Bring this up again and you’re gonna get a punch in the mouth.”
5. I’ll give credit where it’s due. There’s nothing wrong with the chorus. It’s catchy, it makes sense, it evokes emotion. One time, I flicked on the radio and this song came in just at the chorus. Right then I thought this song isn’t that bad. This thought has not occurred to me since.
6. If either Chad Kroeger or his friend actually said these words out loud, I guarantee right afterward one of them called the other a fag. And then they punched each other in the mouth. And then they made out.
7. Fuck I hate this line! You almost missed? Now, I’ve had some shitty first kisses in my day, but almost missing was never at the root of the problem. What did you almost kiss, then? Her eyeball? Her dad? I know it’s a convenient rhyme but fucking try harder!
8. Throw up in your mouth? No? Just me then.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hilarious, Dave.

And right on the fucking mark. I've heard that damn song so many times that it's permanently inscribed on my brain.

In fact, I could actually hear the notes going through my head as I was reading the lyrics.

AAAARRRHHHHHH!!

I hate it.

Damn bastards with their catchy chorus.

P.S. - My word verification is ttfaje - which stands for 'ta-ta all Jorge's entries'. Just so you know.

P.P.S. - Woo-hoo! I'm the first commenter!

P.P.P.S. - I don't EVER drink coffee, and I had a BIG cup this morning. Now I'm REALLY hyper.

In case you couldn't tell already.
Anonymous said…
Dave!
Right on the mark.
I actually own the first Nickelback album due to my friend buying it for me for my birthday a few years ago. But that was then.

Photograph is still now, and no matter how now it is, it fucking sucks sweaty donkey balls.

You totally called the song, man.
Totally.

J

PS: My word verification? hylleaa which looks like hell yeah to me. Well done Word Verifier! Well done.
Anonymous said…
"I dropped my speech into my dress!"

Katietronic - Now with more cleavage!
Dave said…
You look like an indie rocker.

P.S. Thanks for staying on topic.
JMai said…
Wow. That was funny. I hate that song.

The second floor is hard for sneakin out? I've been wondering what he was saying for a while now. Shame...
Anonymous said…
Man, what a bunch of tight asses. Instead of pciking the song apart why don't you just try to flow with it. Nobidy ever said that rock lyricists were "Experts at using the English language". Some of your comments make me wonder if you are frustrated English teachers. I mean, making a comment because of the rhyming scheme. You have to admit, it's a catchy tune. And if you give it some license i think you could find meaning in it. Loosen up a bit and let it flow.

Thanks!!
-- Steve

PS - Some of your comments are funny.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.