Skip to main content
Here we are on probably our last good vacation for the next while. We’re on the Celebrity Solstice, on our second of eight days at sea, headed towards the Canary Islands, Portugal, and Spain. It’s a little disorienting being on this ship because we’ve been on two of its sister ships (Equinox and Silhouette) which are completely identical within and nearly identical without—with the differences limited to artwork and finishes.

Teddy, an old pro at five cruises, knows exactly where everything is. I’m pretty sure we could just tell him to go find the pool (six floors away), and he could find navigate there on his own about as fast as we could. Veronica, a nube with just three cruises her belt, is really enjoying herself this time around. There’s lots of places to walk and climb and no end of fellow cruisers to tell how pretty she is (which is all I want people to tell me on any given day).

This trip didn’t have the most auspicious start. We left Ottawa at 2 a.m. to catch a flight out of Montreal, and while we arrived plenty early for our flight, baggage drop-off, security, and customs took just shy of two and a half hours to get through and we just made it for the flight. Then Teddy barfed during the landing. Then Veronica got a wicked ear infection. Then Sarah’s dad got wicked food poisoning. And then Sarah got sick. And it seems that Sarah’s mom was sort of sick all along. I’m fine, in case you’re wondering. I’m burdened with a wicked case of the clap but I got that long before the trip started.

Anyways, that’s all I want to say about the shitshow of the last few days, because things are looking up and in between the sickness we’ve still had a pretty good time. The kids have been great travelers. They we’re unbelievably patient on the trip over. And at the first meal in the main dining room, they were beyond good – where historically speaking that first dining room meal has been an absolute fucking gong show.
I think that’s all to report right now. My intention (and I’m dooming myself to failure by the very fact of writing my intention down) is to do a bit of writing catch up over these sea days. I want to write a little about this trip as it happens, but I also owe some posts about the kids, and about the last movie marathon. So I’m going to see what I can do with my downtime over the next short while.

In the meantime, here’s a picture of the shorties, acting chill and watching a show before their first formal dinner of the cruise...



Comments

Beth said…
I love when you guys travel, because then I get to read blog postings by you!

Sorry to hear that everyone got the plague. Hopefully it means that things can only get better from here on in. For example, you probably won't arrive in Europe to discover that the entire continent has been taken over by zombism. Probably.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.