Skip to main content
It’s Sarah’s birthday today and every year when this day rolls around, I consider writing a proper tribute. I’ve never done it before because I’m afraid I won’t get it right. When you describe your love for a person, you want it to be unique; no clichés and no one else’s words but your own. And you want to say everything. It’s a pretty easy task to fail at. So rather than try and say it all right now, let’s consider this the first in a continuing series of posts about Sarah. I’ll add to it and refine it over time until I do get it right, however long that takes.

What I forget most often—or at least take for granted on a near-daily basis—is how smart she is. And this is funny because that’s probably one of the first things you realize about Sarah when you meet her. First, she’s got a memory like no one else I know. If you’ve ever mentioned, say, your birthday, the names of your grandparents, your favourite colour, the first car you drove, anything like that… she will never forget it. She often tells people, “I have a creepy memory,” and it’s true. She’d make a great detective (or an excellent stalker). And couple this memory with a keen interest in all manner of topics: history, sports, science, pop culture, politics, economics. She’s always reading and always learning more, and it just seems to me to be an amazing amount for one person to know without forgetting a bunch of stuff they used to know. And she’s constantly thinking and planning; I don’t think her mind ever goes into neutral. When she’s quiet, she’s probably thinking about the mortgage crisis in the US, or meal planning for the next week, or mulling over travel ideas for three years from now.

And all that intelligence comes packaged with a really big heart. I think it’s far easier to be cold or distant when you know that much, when comprehension and recall come so easily to you. But if you know Sarah and you’ve ever been hurt or down, then you’ve seen firsthand that she will give you the greatest support. I’ve seen her talk for hours to friends (and occasionally strangers) who have needed an ear. I’ve seen her fly across the country to help someone out. She feels such great sympathy for her friends when they go through a hard time; it keeps her up nights. But she’s also someone you want around at your best times as well. She’s been the go-to girl at a ton of weddings. She’ll help you arrange your vacation (whether or not she gets to come along too). She has the smarts and the tenacity to put you in touch with the things you need, whatever that might be. And she has wonderful, contagious enthusiasm. She’s the only adult I know who will literally hop up and down with excitement. She’ll get incredibly excited on someone else’s behalf—over a new relationship, a new baby, a promotion, a move. She’ll be your cheering squad, your fan, and your closest of friends.

I’m very lucky and I’m profoundly grateful to have her in my life, and I know I don’t say either of those things often enough. Happy Birthday, baby. There’ll be more of this to come because I’ve just scratched the surface, but I’m glad to have finally made a start.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sniff. You made me tear up at work.

Thanks so much, baby! I should start a blog so I can pay tribute to you, too. You are amazing and I love you so much. I am so glad that I get to spend life with you.
Anonymous said…
_____________________
The Dave Blog

He has a beard.

The End.
_____________________

:)

Seriously, this is a really touching tribute. You guys are really lucky to have each other.
I always enjoy spending my time at your place with you guys.

Happy Belated, Sarah.

May you enjoy the happiest of times in the many years to come!
Anonymous said…
Also, there already is a blog that pays tribute to Dave.

It's here.
kris said…
What a lovely, lovely post. Happy birthday, Sarah.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.