Skip to main content

Humpy

So, Sarah’s pregnant. The reason I say this so cavalierly is not because I’m ambivalent or frightened, but because there are approximately three people I can think of to whom this would be remotely new information. And all the rest of you are thinking, “What the hell took you so wrong to write about it?” Good question. Here is a list of reason why I haven’t mentioned this before, ranked by lameness (starting with not at all lame and ending with highly, highly lame)
  • We wanted to wait until the kid was far enough along that we felt comfortable telling people about it

  • We wanted to make sure that we’d told all the people close to us in a personal way. I didn’t want to put up a post about it and then go, “Oh shit, we forgot to tell my mom!” (Not that we forgot to tell my mom. Also, not that my mom knows about my blog.)

  • I needed a good picture to post, which involved a vigorous approval process. That went a little something like this: “No. And not that one. Oh, I hate that! Please delete this one right now. No, right now so I can know that you’ve done it. No. No. No. Okay, this one. I guess...”

  • The longer I held back in writing about it, the more pressure I felt to make the post epic

  • I’m doing NaBloPoMo next month, so I need to save up all the material I can get

Sarah is just about twenty-eight weeks along and everything is going great. First trimester was awful for her; just near constant nausea coupled with just about every other pregnancy symptom a girl can get. Second trimester has been almost entirely good times, and I say this because I’m not the one wearing belly belt pants and getting booted in my vital organs. As of Tuesday, we’re officially into third trimester, so I’ll let you know how that turns out.
We’re having a boy, and I’m strangely reluctant to share the name here—even though we’ve told every single person who’s asked us. I will tell you what we call him presently: Humpy. It started as a joke, something to replace Cobra Commander, which had been our placeholder name at the start. But when we were at the Georgia Aquarium back in July and we learned about the humphead wrasse, I turned to Sarah and said, “That’s what we’re calling him from now on: Humphead.” Humphead quickly became Humpy, and while we used it jokingly at first it wasn’t very long before the name stuck and we starting using it in an earnest and affectionate way. “How’s Humpy today?” “Humpy’s on a growth spurt.” “Look, Humpy and Moe are hanging out.” And as you can see, Moe likes to perch on Sarah’s belly and purr, which always results in jabs of acknowledgement from Humpy. I personally have been kicked in the ear, the mouth, and the cheek by Humpy, but I haven’t yet been kicked out of bed (although I’m told this can happen).

Comments

Anonymous said…
OMG, you guys are pregnant???

So, that's an awesome photo. Vigorous approval process FTW! I showed the pic to Tod and he was all "that's a big cat!" and I was all, "And that's their *small* cat!"

We like cats. And cats on baby bellies are awesome!
Anonymous said…
What's wrong with Cobra Commander? How many kids in his kindergarden do you think are going to have that name?
Anonymous said…
a #1) You've never told me the name, even though I've asked.

b #2) By doing NaBloPoMo, do you mean you will write for 3 days and then go to sleep for 27?


;)

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.