Skip to main content

Un oldtimey-ing our old-timey house

The marathon house reno session has begun. Sarah and I have argued about whether or not this is a large-scale reno, and I guess she's right--we're not tearing down drywall or putting in new plumbing, so I guess it's not a massive undertaking. But what's made it harder than your usual paint and de-wallpapering is the fact that very little of the wallpaper (and there is a shitload of it) is dry-strippable. The front hall was gloriously dry-strippable, then came the second bedroom (which Sarah's dad called "the low-hanging fruit room" for its relative ease to finish,) then came the back hall and powder room which was close quarters and pretty damn hard, but the worst is the master bedroom. The paper in there was like vinyl, in no way porous and even pretty resistant to scoring. And when you're lucky enough to tear an inch of paper away from the wall, underneath is backing paper which must have been applied with Elmer's Glue. On top of all this, one of the walls was never primed, so in places the paper and backing pulls bits of the wall with it. Sarah labeled that one: "The wall of my discontent" (which we'll be priming the bejezus out of, FYI).

But consider this complaint by proxy, because I didn't really deal with the wallpaper. Sarah's parents (and Sarah) have been busting their asses on that stuff since Thursday morning. I was at work Thursday and Friday, so I've put about sixteen hours less effort into it so far. Most of my efforts have gone into pulling up living room carpet and stabbing myself with those little, wooden, nail-filled boards that hold down the carpet edges. On the bright side, once you've got the tetanus coursing through your veins, the seizures give you a nice burst of strength when you need it. [Plus, the floor looks great! Hardwood that had been stained and sealed, then hidden for 40 years with very thick, hot pink carpet. We polyurethaned the floors yesterday and they look AWESOME!! -S.]

Ahead of us today: TSPing a bunch of rooms, polyfilla-ing holes and starting to prime. We're getting there, folks. The light at the end of the tunnel is just a wee pinprick, but it's there.

Comments

Beth said…
I can't wait to come and see it!

But I can't believe you ripped up the hot pink carpet... who wouldn't want hot pink carpet???
Anonymous said…
I recommend sending the carpet to Beth.
Dave said…
We've saved it, so that is a possibility...
Anonymous said…
We've got some pink carpet you can have too, Beth!
Anonymous said…
pics! pics! I live in a place where I have no control over the decoration and no HGTV.
Anonymous said…
Mmmm hardwood! Sound great guys! Wish I could come help! I like glue! lol We only have to fix the spots our dear Abby has either chewed knocked down. Dave, are you sure you want a dog?
Anonymous said…
I'm glad that Leanne wrote that as one word.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.