Skip to main content

Holy crap, was Randy Newman ever kick-ass

I would never ever have bought tickets to a Randy Newman show before seeing him last night. I considered it up there with going to see Jimmy Buffet; adult-contempo at best, novelty at worst. But he was funny, he was smart, and he was really engaging (unlike the shut-up-and-watch-me-perform styling of Bob Dylan). I would totally see him again and I would recommend him to pretty much anybody. Going in, I had this clip from the Family Guy pretty firmly entrenched in my head, and I think I sniggered through the first two songs, but then I was hooked. He’s got great stage patter: “This next song sums up the last 400 years of Western Civilization in two and a half minutes.” “A friend of mine had three sons and then a daughter. He told me once, ‘Randy, if we’d had the girl first, I would have thought the boys were retarded.’” He’s also, obviously, a pretty talented songwriter. There’s a darkly comic side to some of his stuff that I hadn’t heard until last night, “Political Science” and “Great Nations of Europe” are good examples of that. Another of our favourites was “A Few Words in Defence of My Country,” and thanks to youtubery magic, you can see that here.

Once Randy was through, we caught about four and a half minutes of George Clinton and The P-Funk Allstars before deciding that we had not the funk, nor could we bring out the funk. We ran over to the River Stage to see Los Lobos (in English, that’s ‘The Lobos’), but either Los Lobos was replaced with a mediocre blues band, or they were doing their best impression of a mediocre blues band, or they are, in fact, a mediocre blues band. After this, we had one last stop—at the Black Sheep stage to see Alejandro Escovedo. Sarah had read excellent things about his band. The band itself and the music were phenomenal, but Alejandro’s got a pretty mediocre voice. He’s like Greg Kellor from Blue Rodeo but without any twang or rasp. After about three songs, we hit the bricks. On the way home, we caught the Sound and Light Show on Parliament Hill, which is something we’ve been meaning to do for a while. You know what else was mediocre? The Sound and Light Show on Parliament Hill.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Funny...

I always thought Los Lobos meant The Wolves.

But what do I know?

Thanks to you I have that Funk song in my head again.

Fugger.
Anonymous said…
Did I, or did I not tell you that Randy Newman rules?

But oh no. You had to go out and "discover" that all on your own, and then take the credit.

Ass.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.