Skip to main content

I’m trying this experiment right now that combines writing, checking out what’s new on everyone’s blog, and watching a movie all on the same screen. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t totally freaking me out and giving me a punishing headache, which isn't to say I’m not enjoying it.

I’m a terrible multitasker, really. I can compartmentalize my time throughout the day and ensure a number of tasks get done, but I have great difficulty literally doing two things at the same time. I can’t write while listening to music; I can’t talk on a cellphone and walk at the same time. I’d like to say what I’m doing right now is challenging, but I’m not really doing it. I’m watching the movie in snatches, then writing in bursts, then going back to the flick. It’s taken me twenty minutes just to get this much down.

I’ve wanted to do this since I started reading Moriarty’s DVD Shelf (which has been dead for months, but the archives are still worth checking out). Moriarty is a contributor (the best one, I think) over at Aint It Cool News. He’s also a screenwriter, having penned two of the Masters of Horror episodes. His online writing seems to come in bursts, but at times—particularly during the DVD Shelf’s heyday—he’s astoundingly prolific. In a typical day, he watches five movies, which he accomplishes by tiling his desktop and playing the movies in one corner while he works. Always wanted to try it. Now I have. Probably won’t make a habit of it.

I’m watching Crimes and Misdemeanours, by the way. I feel sort of ambivalent about it so far, but I did start it at about 11:30 last night, and it’s only had half my attention today. I just don’t find the Martin Landau storyline all that compelling, which is about sixty percent of the movie. But Woody Allen as nebbish, neurotic, oversexed middle-aged guy: rather convincing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
No, man, no! Crimes and Misdemeanours is one his finest, precisely because of the Landau guilt trip! You just have to identify with him, and it's heavy. I always felt it was a difficult movie to watch, because it actually cares about what it might feel like to be responsible for murder and doesn't waste its energy on (covertly glorifying) the violent act.
Anonymous said…
can you use the word snatches on Blogger without being punished?

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.