Skip to main content

Saki tastes like butane

Monday morning, Beth declared, “My neck doesn’t hurt anymore. We’ve found the cure for ARM: no more A!” We’d made plans to meet up with Sarah’s friends, Etienne and Eve, and after running into one closed restaurant after another, we ended up at Kitsilano Sushi. It was fast-food sushi, but dirt cheap. I ordered a small saki and make a very important discovery. Just guess what that discovery was.

It was somewhat sunny out (the only sunny day we ended up having), so we decided to try out luck and go to Stanley Park. The park was formerly military land until it was donated to the city by Lord Stanley—then Governor General; also He of Stanley Cup fame. He was also the one who named the park—‘Stanley Park’ winning out over tough choices like ‘I’m the Shit Park’ and ‘Bitches Think Generosity is Sexy Park’. We walked the Seawall, which is a 10K jaunt that wraps around the park, and it kept us busy for two and a half hours. During this time, we defied numerous "Construction Ahead! Seawall Closed!" signs, and saw approximately 360 dachshunds (Those Kitsilano folk love them some dogs).

After Stanley, we drove along Commercial Drive, which was sadly devoid of hippies. Next, we stopped into Vij’s, which may just have served the best Indian food I’ve had or ever imagined having. The price was significant but not bank-breaking; take this as a comment and not a complaint. If I were to complain, I’d say that the portion sizes—particularly for appetizers and desserts—were ungenerous. (Good thing I’m not complaining.) We finished the night drinking and watching The 40 Year-Old Virgin—which was so funny that my ass literally fell off, à la Opus in Bloom County.

Tuesday was our earliest rise of the trip (prior to our flight-catching pre-dawn rise on Wednesday). Once one of them actually deemed us worthy of passage, we hopped on a bus that took us back toward Gastown (see also: Dave McLean; former mayor of). We wanted to check out Storyeum, a ‘live storytelling experience’ housed in an impressive looking building in the city’s historic district. Although the show’s description is hazy at best, we expected a dramatization of the history of British Columbia. I guess that’s what it was. The only thing I’m quiet sure about is that the show was terrible terrible abso-fucking-lutely terrible. The concept has promise: stepping onto a platform, you’re lowered underground and then led from room to room where different groups of actors perform scenes out of BC’s history. Problem one is that the history is way glossed over. Hey! We had natives! Hey! This place has fur and big trees! Hey! Gold! Hey! The Railroad! Hey! Votes for Women! Hey! We sure fucked over those Chinese! Hey! Did I mention trains? Problem two is that there are seven musical numbers. ‘Nuff said. And problem three is that after seven shows a day, six days a week, the actors cannot mask their cold, dead, kill-me eyes. If you have to go, do it for the laughs, not for anything else. And Chrissakes—don’t pay full price.

From there, we bused over to Granville Island (which is not an island at all, but a prominatory surrounded by bogs). We signed up for a tour of Granville Island Brewing, which is one of the many beers we fell in love with over the week. We were joined by three girls from Japan who’d just finished a semester at UBC and were heading home shortly. Also, they did not like beer. At all. So, strange choice to pass the time. Anyhow, it was my first brewery tour, so I found it pretty interesting (but don’t ask me to repeat a word of it.) Afterward, the guide took us to the taproom to sample four of their beers. He brought them out in pitchers—maybe three quarters full; he also knew we loved their Maple Cream Ale so there was extra of that to be had. The Japanese girls drank amounts varying from three ounces to one milliliter. In addition, Beth isn’t so fond of beer, but she did managed to put away about a glass and a half. Now, Sarah and I aren’t alcoholics, but it has occurred to me in the past (see: Vegas) and was further proved here that we don’t do well with free booze. We feel like we have some kind of patriotic duty to drink it. So we did. And got shmammered. It started fun but became a wee bit embarrassing as we stumbled down the street with an especially sober Beth. After a desperate search for food (thwarted particularly by Moderne Burger which only seemed to be open for about twenty minutes of the seven days we were there), we fell into a both at Sophie’s Cosmic Café. Stuffing food into our gaping, boozy mouths, we emerged from there at least 30% less drunk. We slept the other 70% off back at Beth’s apartment.

Up again around eight p.m., we picked up Beth’s friend, Kalev, and went to a place called Bo Kong, which serves ‘Buddhist Chinese vegetarian food.’ Gourmand that I am (I’m also a boulevardier and a voluptuary, but neither of those figure here), I was skeptical to say the least, but the food kicked ass. We then satisfied a long-standing jones for crème brulèe at Sweet Obsession. (In case you didn’t catch on: we did some eating on this trip.) With sticky-outty bellies, we returned to the apartment, packed up our shit, told Beth how much we loved and would miss her, then slept the sleep of the just. The next morning, we reaffirmed the many virtues of Beth, and took off. I meant to finish this entry up during the plane ride, but the lady in front of my had her seat resting snuggly against my clavicle, so typing wasn’t an option.

Two final things. First, Beth was an amazing host. She indulged all of our indulgences (burpy, drunken stumbles, Storyeum fiascos), was funny one hundred percent of the time, and was totally cool with two jerks like us taking over her apartment for an entire week, leaving her nowhere to escape. You rock. And (need it be said again? yes, it does,) we miss you. Second, there’ll be one more Vancouver post after this—sort of an addendum. Just a bunch of stuff that was only semi-related to a post at hand, but which I think is worth mentioning. Hopefully it won’t take me another five days to get that one out.

Comments

Beth said…
You guys are the sweetest! I had a super wicked fantastic time having you guys here and I only wish you could have stayed even longer! I miss you two, too!

BTW, I laughed hysterically for about 20 minutes when I read "Hey! We sure fucked over those Chinese! Hey! Did I mention trains?" -- that is *spot on* what that show was like!

Also, btw, it was SUNNY today! Cold as hell, but it was full on sunny! Scouts honour!

Looking forward to reading the addendum!
Beth said…
Oh yea, one more thing... go over to the Daily Show website and watch the clip called "Crappy Anniversary" - there is a joke in there that was written just for you!
Dave said…
Did we mention that it was 22 in Ottawa when we got back? What the fucksocks is that? Did we leave Bizzaro-Vancouver and return to Bizzaro-Ottawa?
Anonymous said…
Beth, did you know youa re married to Dave?

That's what they think down here in DC.

Dave, I'll do a more meaningful post when I get home. Kris has me cleaning out the toilets after I make breakfast.

Crickets.
Beth said…
WTF, Dave! 22? The world is turning upside down! Did you know that people here walk on their hands and hamburgers eat people?

Jorge - I know that Sarah & I are often considered interchangeable, but I categorically deny being married to Dave.
Anonymous said…
Dave, you are a dicksmack (haven't used that in a while).

When we got to DC, it was overcast and rainy. It rained all weekend until an hour before we had to leave, when it became sunny and 22.

When we arrived home, though, it was still rainy and it was 6!

Fucksocks....

Sounds like you had quite the adventure.

We, too, had an adventure. But it was shorter and filled with many more american flags.
Kalev said…
But did Beth have to tell you how to spell my name correctly?

Thanks again for dinner... was fun and yummy.
Beth said…
Kalev - Dave did not, in fact, ask me how to spell your name. But I have mentioned you on my blog, so perhaps he looked there.
Anonymous said…
DAVE ===> At some point before we get old and (more) senile, you and me and our respective missus... es... are going to the west coast together.
Beleee-DAT!
My father and my whole step-family live out that way, and I've no doubt a jaunt up Indian Arm to the weekend retreat of one step-sister type and some waterskiing (or if you're me, watching people waterski from the boat) would be totally reasonable to expect.
Also, in spite of your excessive binging, I read nothing about trying the chocolate milk out there. I forget the name of the brand - starts with an L... sounds all pasturey... Leevale? Leaside? BAH. - anyway, it remains the best chocolate milk ever. When you and I and the ladies head out that way (bearing in mind I don't care if this is 30 years from now), you're trying that stuff to see what you've been missing.
The company slogan isn't "God's Own Milk", but it damn well should be. This chocolate milk will change your life, I shit you not.
Meanwhile, glad you had a good time, chocolate milk or no.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.