Skip to main content

Wednesday Movie - Out of Africa

It’s difficult to see a current movie and not already know too much about it. I love trailers, but more often then not, they render the set up of any movie almost meaningless. Mr. & Mrs. Smith—a great movie that I enjoyed a lot, but we all knew going in that the Mr. and Mrs. were assassins for hire, and it gave the first half an hour a real get-on-with-it feel. This is why I enjoy these Wednesday movies, because I only know most of them by reputation and what I think I know is typically wrong.

There were only two things I knew about Out of Africa before I watched it: it had won Best Picture, and it was longest movie in all of movie history. Turns out I was wrong on the second thing. I think my parents—to whom a ninety-five minutes feature is “some long, b’y”—might have seen this when I was young and I’d witnessed the fall out. At two hours and forty minutes, no one would define it as short and breezy, but it’s no Das Boot, if you know what I’m saying. So here’s what I didn’t know about the movie:

It’s based on the true story of novelist Karen Blixen, a Danish baroness who marries a man more friend than lover, and moves to Kenya to start a coffee plantation. Although Karen throws herself into their new home, her marriage, and a plantation she never wanted, her husband treats his duties cavalierly, choosing instead to hunt by day and philander by night. Fortunately, the baroness is unbowed in the face of adversity; in fact it even seems to strengthen her. She ousts her husband, manages the plantation, and even builds a school for the children of the local tribe. She then becomes involved with Denys Hatton, an enigmatic hunter who she had crossed paths with often since arriving in Africa. Denys has a deep-rooted respect for the country and its inhabitants, and he teaches the already-wise Karen truths about the natives (they have an oral history, why do they need to read?) and about living for the day (the Earth was made round so that we would not see too far down the road). Their relationship seems ultimately doomed, if for no other reason than that every other of Karen’s endeavours ends in disaster. In the end, it proves true of this endeavour as well.

Meryl Streep is unbelievable in this. I know that she’s every actress’s idol, but prior to this I’d only seen her in Adaptation, where she was good but not holy shit good as she is here. It’s like she actually became another person for this movie; the posture, the demeanour, especially the accent (while I couldn’t identify a Danish accent to save my life, it sounded pitch-perfect to me). Robert Redford is also great, knowing better than to put on a bad English accent. He pulls off a difficult roll, making the land-loving hunter both sensitive and masculine. You get snippets of this character early on and you can’t wait until it’s just the two of them, and when it is it’s as good as you’d hoped.

This is not your typical romance. While it’s not quite a mystery, I truly had no idea where the movie was going from one scene to the next. I mean, the female lead gets the syph, for God's sake! Nobody saw that one coming.

It’s a good story because it’s based on a true story and because real life is complicated. It doesn’t just beeline from plot point to plot point, it develops gradually. That said, it’s also concisely told. You often get the sense in these types of movies that someone must have said, “No one will consider this an epic unless we make it really, really LOOOOONG.” But there’s no wasted time in this movie. I would gladly watch it again, and soon.

Comments

kris said…
I love the part where he washes her hair. I don't know why that still strikes me, after all these years.
Anonymous said…
Kris, it's actually those types of scenes that I think can make a movie much more than it is romantically.

Like in Phenomenon, where Kyra Sedgewick shaves John Travolta's face. I don't think that movie had a love scene but that was better.

Dave:

"where she was good but not holy shit good as she is here"

That is the goodest thing ever, man.

GOODEST

You rock.

J
Anonymous said…
You didn't mention the scene where she gets into the biplane and finds a python under the seat. 'I hate snakes, Jacques!' Priceless! And the bit where the baboon demolishes the phonograph and throws a shard of the record up and it turns into Kirk Douglas? And Captain Scott fighting the lion, and the blood going: psssch? And when the car with all her china comes unhitched from the engine, and Buster Keaton's out front on the cowcatcher trying to kick Butterfly McQueen off the rails?

Sorry, I may have gotten carried away.
Anonymous said…
I once had a farm in Africa.
Anonymous said…
I just realized something. You say this is the first time you've seen M. Streep in anything other than 'Adaptation'? See 'Angels in America'.
Anonymous said…
Henry, you forgot about the giant robots.
Anonymous said…
No, Katie. Kramer vs. Kramer, or possibly Sophie's Choice.
Jay said…
Haha. Prickles and a big seed.
Anonymous said…
That's our Dave!
Dave said…
My parents took me to see Kramer vs. Kramer when I was about seven. Good plan. I remember being sure that my parents would one day divorce. Also that I would eat ice cream in front of my Dad with impudence.
Anonymous said…
Did you expect to run into a naked woman in your house?
kris said…
Did you guys go camping without me again?
Anonymous said…
i wish.
;)

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.