Skip to main content

Highlights from our trip to Michigan – Part One

June 29th – We pack up, pick up Sarah’s friend, Tania, and hit the road. Half an hour outside Ottawa, Tania says, “I thought you said I’d be sharing the back seat with a bunch of hanging outfits,” and we realize we’re the dumbest people on the planet. My suit and Sarah’s dress are still hanging in our front hall closet. We turn back to recover the clothes and our four-hour car ride becomes a five-hour car ride. Then in my haste to get Tania to her stop without further delay, we almost run out of gas. A sketchy Canadian Tire in a sketchy part of Toronto saves our ass (and at 78.9 cents a litre, it feels like my birthday).

June 30th – We visit families and run errands in Georgetown. Rested, beautified, and freshly shorn, we’re Windsor-bound down the 401. The trip is uneventful, and the border crossing goes fine, but then we enter into absolute fucking chaos. Across the border, the roads are garbage, all cracks and pot holes, but that’s to be expected. The day’s special bonus is that the first eight exits on either side of the I96 are closed—and not just closed but demolished, ripped to bits. And are there sixteen road crews on the job? Of course not! I don’t know if I even saw one. It’s like they only had the jackhammer guy for one day so he had to do it all at once. Anyhow, after a detour through Eight Mile Road, we rap-battle our way out of the war zone that is downtown Detroit. How are we treated for our effort? Five minutes after getting on to the correct highway (I-94), a flying object hits and cracks our windshield. And I totally did not curse out the entire state of Michigan and all its inhabitants.

Around five-thirty, we make it to Ann Arbor where we meet up with Katie and Jason, our friends and our innkeepers for the night. They suggest Grizzly Peak for dinner, which turns out to have great food and also serves beer from a nitro tap (less carbonation, smoother taste, drunky drunky). From there we move on to Ashley’s, which has over a hundred and fifty brands of beer. We enjoy Bell’s quite a bit, and Jason and I finish with a glass of Suntory whiskey (“For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.”) Back at their apartment, Jason introduces me to a PS2 game called Def Jam Fight for NY, where stars affiliated with the Def Jam label beat the shit out of each other for money. You can pit Henry Rollins against Flavor Flav, or Lil' Kim versus Carmen Electra. Good times. After many games and many drinks, I go to bed half cut.

July 1st – We leave Ann Arbor and head north. There’s a stop for breakfast, and another at an outlet mall, but other than that there’s just a lot of driving. Four hours in, we officially enter God’s Country because three of every four radio stations play only Christian Rock, and all the city limits signs say things like ‘God’s blessing falls on Petosky’. We drive into a town called Gaylord. But don’t snigger—that’s pronounced Gaylerd, the radio stations assure us. Dude, if you’re that ashamed of the name of your town, then change it. Call it Cocksure or Ballhang. Don’t call it Gaylerd.

Through Gaylord and Ironton, we get to our destination: Charlevoix. We check into our room at The Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites and jet over to the rehearsal party. Here we meet too many people for me to catalog. Of special note—of course—are groom and bride, Ben and Erin. There’s home-made pasta, cold-ass air, and Stag beer. Local only to certain parts of Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan, Stag’s unofficial spokesman tells us that Stag is “sugar-free as a beer can be.” And he says it proudly. When the party runs down, we tag along with some of Ben’s friends to a townie bar appropriately called The Town Bar. It’s crowded, smoky, and Ben’s friend Janine almost gets in a scrap, but pitchers are nine dollars so I consider the night well-spent.

July 2nd – We rise lazily and go out to explore the town. In a shop called Momentum, which is all about discount overstock from stores of the J. Crew/Ralph Lauren ilk. Sarah goes buckwild and I pick through the clothes like it’s garbage because the first thing I see is a big Abercrombie label that turns me off. We ransack a few more stores then come back to Momentum where Sarah practically has to beat me into buying a really nice jacket for ten bucks.

Lunch at a seafood place called Whitney’s, then we’re back at the hotel to get ready. Sarah chooses her Jackie O dress and together with her new haircut she looks amazing. I’ve got my new tan suit and I look okay too. Who’s kidding who—I looked like The Mack.

All set, we get our dapper asses to the chapel.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice.
You covered a lot of ground, and a lot of alky.

You are Thelma and Louise all rolled into one.

Except you didn't drive off a cliff.....yet.
kris said…
oh please pretty PLEASE photoshop your head onto the Mack. That would make my night.
Anonymous said…
Does Mom know about your windshield yet? She will never sleep again.

Does Mom know you drink that much?

Just wondering.
Dave said…
Kris: What are you talking about? That is my head!

Anonymous: No on both counts. She also doesn't know how often you do BTs.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.