Skip to main content

Wednesday Movie - Cinema Paradiso

These little reviews are so much easier when I hate the movie. All About Eve was a cakewalk and took me about half an hour, whereas I’ve only just started this and I know it’ll take my all damn day. What do you say about a movie that’s extremely good, that was given due praise and accolades upon its release, and that hasn’t yet fallen off the radar? I guess you say this:

Cinema Paradiso could have been a melodrama. It could easily have been the type of film you catch on the Hallmark Channel (for those of you without benefit of black market satellite: yes, there is such a thing.) There’s tragedy and thwarted love, a beloved character dies, and a son is reunited with his mother after thirteen years—but no one wallows in despair; I don’t think that any of the leads actually cry.

In the town of Giancaldo shortly after the end of the Second World War, the Cinema Paradiso is the only real form of entertainment. A young boy named Salvatore (or Toto) befriends the cinema’s projectionist, Alfredo, and finds in the old man a surrogate to the father he lost in the war. Night after night, Toto sits in the booth with Alfredo, watching him run a myriad of movies and silently absorbing the craft. And each night the same cast of characters show up among the audience; the same man always falls asleep, and the same guy always spits off the balcony onto the seats below. There is both a reassurance and a fear that things never change. But a fire in the projection room takes Alfredo’s sight, and at an absurdly young age, Toto takes over as projectionist.

It’s this first half of the film that’s the best part. Can I call it ‘magical?’ (Not if I want to retain any respect as a writer and a man, no.) Alfredo describes his life as dull and plain; a life spent always in the dark, with no friends, watching the same movie one hundred times. Regardless, I found myself aching to have that job—at least for the length of the movie.

I’ll end here. It’s a half-assed review but I’m already in vacation mode and I’m surprised I got this far. We’re out of town for the next week, so until July 6th, you stay classy, San Diego.

Comments

kris said…
Wow - any movie that stirs you to be "aching" at any point surely has an impact beyond the average.

I wish you'd do a few lists - favorite films made from books, favorite books never made into films, favorite films titled "rosemary's baby," you know, that sort of thing.
Anonymous said…
Kris, you Rock. That comment made me laugh.

Dave, I'm surprised you ever wrote the damned thing after talking to you about it.

Have fun visiting the pinky knuckle, and dancing like a weirdo.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.