Skip to main content

Because I can, basically

Why God? Why must I add my voice to the chorus of nerds discussing the new Star Wars film? Is it because I haven’t posted lately? Or because I’m the illegitimate son of Billy Dee Williams? Either way, I’m compelled. I’ll keep it brief and point-formy.

· When it’s good it’s perfect, and when it’s bad it’s awful. Conversations, in general: not so good. Every successive scene between Anakin and Padme became the worst scene in the movie for me. But the opening twenty minutes was great, and the scene after Obi-Wan defeats Anakin was, I think, the best in the series. It occurs to me that if you were to cut together the best forty-five minutes of that movie and show it to someone as a highlights reel, they would almost certainly assume the whole thing was perfect.

· Revenge of the Sith has the most unintentionally funny line of any movie I have ever seen. When Anakin said the words, “But our love can’t save your life, only my new powers can do that,” I damn neat shat laughing. Sarah’s favourite was, “If you’re not with me, you’re my enemy,” which comes second, but not a close second.

· What the hell did Obi-Wan and Yoda do for the twenty years between Episodes III and IV? Because I get the sense that they did nothing at all. Oh, they ate and stuff, maybe went for walks once in a while, Yoda even made himself some nice flatware out of clay; but as far as saving the Universe from the Empire in even the teensiest way, it just didn’t seem to cross their minds. Fair enough, keeping a low profile was probably good policy, but couldn’t they have clobbered a storm-trooper or two or the sly? Mailed out anti-Empire propaganda? Published biting, satirical cartoons? Sure, take five or ten years off. I understand, and you’ve earned it. But after year twelve or so it’s probably time to start rousing the rabble.

I could say more, but you can read it elsewhere and better written to boot. Like here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay.

I am going to reveal my nerdiness here.

Obi-Wan was on Tattooine to keep an eye on Luke as he grew up. On top of that, he was conferring and training with Qui-Gon Jinn, learning how to make his voice separate from the force when he died.

Yoda feld to Dagobah. He had previously defeated a powerful Sith lord there in the past. When the Sith Lord died, his essence fused to a tree (the one that Luke walks into in ESB). This "Dark Side Nexus" could hide Yoda from the likes of the emperor, who would be looking for bright spots of light-side force. Yoda, though, was hidden by the big smattering of dark-side energy there.

That's it.

I didn't like the first three movies, for the most part. Other than the fact that Ewan McGregor kicks ass....

Oh yes, and the "Tragedy of Anakin turning to the dark side"

PALPATINE: Become my apprentice. Learn the ways of the dark side.
ANAKIN: No!
PALPATINE: Aw, come on.
ANAKIN: Well, Okay.

Fucker
Dave said…
Couldn't agree more with the turning of Anakin. On top of that I loved Mace's HUGE pause before trying to kill the Emperor. "I'm gonna do it... he deserves to die... too dangerous and whatnot... just gonna hold my sabre in the air and talk awhile...pretty soon now, gonna kill him...don't try and stop me..."

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.