Skip to main content

Tulip Festival Concert Series - Lowest of the Low

On Monday, the Lowest of the Low played Major’s Field Park, an area just east of Parliament Hill. We missed them earlier this year as a result of poor planning—mine (whenever plans of ours go awry, rest assured it’s not Sarah’s fault.) Their set was part of a series of concerts for the Tulip Festival Concert Series, which is going on this week, and they were third on the bill along with The Golden Dogs (who I don’t know), The Double Pumpers (whose name only serves to disturb me) and headliners The Joel Plaskett Emergency. It makes me lame to admit, but we got there only in time to see the Low and we took off seconds after their encore. As the stage faces east and we’re only a half dozen blocks from the venue, I could actually hear Joel Plaskett from my living room, and I’m a little sad we didn’t stick around

The Low played an amazing set, perfect for the two of us anyhow because Sarah’s into the older stuff where I’m all about the new album. Set list was roughly as follows (we’re sure about the songs but a little fuzzy on the order):

Last, Lost Generation
Darkhorse
Everywhere and Nowhere
Subversives
Your Birthday Party
Save Me, Alice Neel!
Concave
The Sharpest Pain
Winter Sleepers
Dogs of February
Turpentine
Bleed a Little While Tonight
Guiletta the Just
City Full of Cowards
Just About “The Only” Blues
The Last Recidivist
Sales, Cheats, and Liars
…And Then the Riot

It was a rough start, but not the band’s fault. They took the stage and then the gonad MC rattled off forty-five different sponsors before saying something like, “Here they are, from Toronto. They’ve got a new album coming out in September, and it’s called Shakespeare My Butt. Let’s hear it for the Lowest of the Low!” It was sort of a lowlight combined with a highlight because the band just kind of shrugged collectively, smirked, and started to play.

Uncomfortable point number two came from this old jackass who heckled the band between the first three songs after they made a totally innocuous gibe against Americans. (In fact, Steve actually dedicated Your Birthday Party to our American friends and the majority of the anti-American talk came from the crowd, but whatever, the guy continued to have not just a stick but a big, thorny bush up his ass. He was derided, then ignored, then thankfully he just went away.)

Beyond those two incidents, it was a great show. I hadn’t seen them since just after the reunion (Koolhaus, Toronto, don’t ask me the date), and I’d forgotten how good they sound live. I’d also forgotten how quick Ron is on his feet. Steve had some sound issues early on, and as he and a roadie were working on it, Ron was like: “The Americans have cut off Steve’s power,” and “Steve Stanley’s solo album will be coming out any day now.” Just on and on and on. I’d go see these goes play just for the banter.

Since I’ve seen them last they’ve:
  • put Lawrence on keyboards
  • changed bassists
  • rejigged some of the old material
  • grown their hair out

The hair doesn’t match the height and volume of the pre-Low days (see: Platinum Blonde, circa 1984), but it’s on the road to Sam Roberts length. Even Dave Alexander, who at most would have a small triangle of shaved hair on the top of his head back in the day, now has nature boy curls.

In short: fantastic. Best Monday night I remember having. I also grabbed a T-shirt, and when I do put it on for the first time I expect to quickly learn that my concert T-shirt days have passed me by—which, of course, won’t stop me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Did you make sure to get a shirt with a special opening that allows your malformed skull to pass through?

I'm just looking after your best interests.

The last concert I went to was one of Pamela's.

She rawks.
Jay said…
Ooh, Tulip Festival! I hope the weather gods see it fit that I should visit this weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.