Skip to main content

I took away his weapon. Both of them.

I watched Sin City last night and I am torn up about it. I slept about two hours, just thrashed about in the bed, and I blame the damn movie. I’m so close to just loving it outright—if only it weren’t for all the hookers.

In the movie’s favour:
- It is absolutely beautiful, every frame, even when you’re watching some guy get crotch-shot or in other ways dismembered
- (this is an overused phrase so sort of devalued, but I mean it when I say) I haven’t seen anything like it before
- The cast is just short of perfect
- It doesn’t just have you cheering for anti-heroes, it creates a universe so horrible that a good guy/bad guy classification is impossible

Detracting from is this:
- Seeming misogyny that I have trouble explaining away

The majority of the women in this movie are hookers. Failing that they’re strippers, naked lesbians, or waitresses that routinely get the shit beat out of them. Now given, every character in this movie is a criminal or a lowlife; as far as the men go they’re cannibals or rapists or wildly corrupt cops, and even the protagonists are conscienceless killers. So maybe all’s fair. Or maybe not.

This is why I could never make a living as a film critic: you’re expected to come down absolutely on whether it was a good movie or a bad one, if you liked it or you didn’t; you have to confirm the absence or presence of deeper levels of meaning and, in the case of its presence, smugly hint that you understood it all.

Two more observations on the misogyny front and then I’ll move on. One: even the non-hooker characters are naked or in their panties when there’s not a great reason to be in such a state. Two: the graphic novels also had male nudity, but this didn’t make it to the screen. (That’s all I’ll say. Maybe I’m totally off base, because a quick scan of rotten tomatoes revues doesn’t reveal anyone else screaming about the same thing. And I want to be wrong on this.)

I’d like to provide a synopsis of the story, but there’s so much to it, so many murders, betrayals, and conspiracies, that a summary would just end up sounding trite. And the fun is in not knowing what’s next. Because there are so many stars, star wattage is no guarantee of a long life span; everyone is the red-shirted ensign from Star Trek in this movie.

I have to admit that it took me at least ten minutes to really get into it and chuck out my disbelief. The dialogue is tricky—it’s hard boiled noir-speak: “This is blood for blood and by the gallons. This is the old days, the bad days, the all or nothing days.” In the wrong hands, it falls flat. Michael Madsen has a particularly bad go at them early on, Rory Gilmore falls just short. But all the leads are great, particularly Mickey Rourke, who was perfectly cast. (And who knew? Jesus, it’s Mickey Rourke! I was amazed to see him in a movie that didn’t co-star Dennis Rodman, let alone that he would actually be good in it.) Brittany Murphy also surprised me. She was the one I was least interested in at the start and she gives the best performance of any of the women.

On the drive out to Quebec this weekend, we were listening to an insufferable call-in show where parents were voicing their displeasure about the violence in this movie. None of them had seen it, of course. These are the same people who wanted to ban Catcher in the Rye from schools when I was a kid because someone told someone that someone heard that the word fuck appeared in the book. Anyways. There’s no question that the movie is incredibly violent. There’s a scene of revenge at the end that is so brutal I actually cupped a hand over my mouth in shock—and I’m about as desensitized as they come. But that’s what reviews are for. That’s why we get these remarkably specific (albeit confusing) movie rating nowadays, like: “Rated R for sustained strong stylized violence, nudity and sexual content including dialogue.” Sexual content including dialogue? That just ain’t right! I don’t mind two people screwin’ so long as they’re not talking while they’re at it. When I have kids, my view on movie violence might change, but for now I’m just looking out for me and I always know what I’m in for.

In the end, there’s no question that I liked the movie. I’d see it again right now if I could, I’ll buy it when it comes out on DVD, and you’ll see it in my 50 films list next week. I just feel conflicted about liking it so much.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I caught it on Friday and thought it rocked pretty damn hard. Not perfect, but really, really close to it.

As for all the naked women (there were a few who weren't, but let's not dwell on'em), I'd simply chalk that up to the world the stories take place within. It's incredibly true to the books - moreso than anything I've ever seen - and Miller has... well... a lot of breasts happening in the series. I can certainly see how it could be called misogyny, but I just took it as a whole rather than focusing on that specifically: in this world, 95% of people are corrupt, women are sex objects, and killing is rampant. Badda-bing.
I wouldn't have been any more put off by it if all the men were dangling everywhere and the women were dressed. I mean, it would've made for some damn odd action scenes, but it wouldn't have offended me per se, so I can't be offended that it went the other way.

And as for that final slaughter scene, you would've been better prepped if you'd read the first few graphic novel collections...
=)
Anonymous said…
Reay, I'd like to borrow those from you if you've got them.

I need to see the movie.

I mean, it will be no House after all, but what is?

Thanks for the dialogue, you two. Now I just need to find the time to go see this damned thing.
Jay said…
I am so anti-violence and especially anti-violence-against-women, and yet, sometimes, it fits, and in this movie, I was impressed, disturbed, and in the end, I respected the story, and that's just about the best review I ever give.
Anonymous said…
Reay.
Consider what you have written. I call bullshit. Even if the film had been the same apart from flapping cocks and balls, and the fully-dressed women, I am confident your reaction would have been different. Fuck off. Are you honestly trying to tell me you wouldn't have dismissed it as art-house–faggot horse-shit? Give us all some credit.
Dave said…
But tell us how you really feel.
Anonymous said…
Lex, I said I wouldn't be offended if the guys were nude. And I wouldn't.
Anything else you want to read into that and get riled about, go right ahead.
Anonymous said…
Reay.
I think Lex is sweet on you.
Dave said…
Before the part where the f-bombs start dropping, Bill has a point. Maybe I read you wrong, Reay, but the gist of what you’re saying sounds like ‘if the girls were all clothed and the dude’s were all nude, I wouldn’t have viewed the movie any differently,’ which I also don’t buy. But I don’t think you would have freaked out in any regard.
Anonymous said…
If that's how it's taken, I can understand it, but I figured that "... I mean, it would've made for some damn odd action scenes, but it wouldn't have offended me per se, so I can't be offended that it went the other way" made it clear enough.

Would I have thought differently of it if there were naked men instead of naked women? Sure. Never claimed otherwise. But been any more offended, as was the only point I was striving to make? No.

Coo'?
Coo'.
Anonymous said…
You guys all speak the goodest english.

Fuck.

Dumbasses.

Lex -> Shut up.
Reay -> Shut up.
Dave -> Shut uppest.
Jorge -> Castration.

I think that about covers it.
Anonymous said…
I was half-expecting Dave to threaten to turn this website around and go right back home if we didn't shut up, but your response will do in a pinch.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.