Skip to main content

Roont

I’m going to go on a bit about Stephen King and the Dark Tower series. I’ll make no attempt to recap what these books are about, so I run a high likelihood of endangering my readership—all two of them (three if I can count Jay.) And Jorge has actually read the series, so it’s just my wife that won’t give a crap.

Let me start by saying I was brought up on Stephen King. Okay—not wholly true. I was brought up on fried bologna and the belief that spaghetti in a can is the real spaghetti, but from a book perspective I was raised on King. Misery, IT, The Shining, Different Seasons—these were the first books I read that weren’t school books, the ones that first made me excited to read. And when I first started to write “seriously” my style was a carbon copy of his (which I’m probably still exorcizing ten years later.) When University arrived, I’d grown, matured, become a book snob, and Stephen King got pushed aside for meatier books. I was an English Lit and Creative Writing major, so it was embarrassing to be caught reading genre fiction. Or anything popular. Or anything actually enjoyable to read. Okay, the snobbery wasn’t quite that strong, but having read some six thousand pages of his, I wasn’t that interested in his books any more. Except the Dark Tower series.

In the words of King—the character—the Dark Tower “was gonna be my Lord of the Rings, my Gormenghast.” In the words of King, the author: “it was time to stop goofing around with a pick and shovel and get behind the controls of one great big God a’mighty steamshovel … time to try and dig something big out of the sand.” In that first book he makes good on all promises. And he does a thing he’s never done before or since: he takes his time. This isn’t a novel dashed down like it was written in a burning house; it was outlined, carefully written, and subject to revision after revision until it was perfect. Unquestionably, it’s the best thing he’s ever written.

Then he picked up the pace. Given, he had to—if he’d finished the series at the same pace as the first book, it would have taken him ninety years. But reading books two and onward you can’t help but feel a little regret. You miss the care that was taken, and the economy of the language. Maybe my patience for large books is waning, but you can’t deny that the Dark Tower books get bloated as they go on. Wolves of the Calla could have been as good a book, or more likely a superior one, if about one hundred pages were shaved off. And I’m only through the first quarter of the last book, but I’m already thinking that it too could use a paring.

The farther into the series I get, the more it seems he’s just winging it. What was printed and bound and eventually sold to me doesn’t seem that far off from his first or second attempt on the page. There are new ideas introduced into the story, and not because it’s the right time, but seemingly because the idea just occurred to King at that time. There are parts of the novels that don’t work, that an editor should have called him on. Two things—a scene and a sub plot—particularly gall me. I hated the Wizard of Oz bit at the end of Wizard and Glass. It was ridiculous and unbelievable and pulled me right out of the story. Second, and definitely more frustrating, is the buying-the-vacant-lot subplot.

Roland and his companions must buy a vacant lot on which sits a single rose. The rose is some kind of key to the Dark Tower (or maybe is the Dark Tower) and if they don’t buy the lot by a certain date the forces of the Crimson King (in the form of the Sombra Corporation) will own the lot and destroy the rose (and probably all worlds everywhere.) King fans: I’m begging you to tell me that plot isn’t as ridiculous as it sounds when summarized. Why does evil have to comply with the law—particularly the law of No Trespassing? It’s a flower. In a vacant lot. Surrounded by a fence. And a second-rate evil henchman can’t hop the fence and lay some big size tens into the rose because—why? Seriously, why? Low on cash and can’t hire henchmen? Rabbits are cheap; sometime free. Pick up three, chuck them over the fence, there’s your problem solved.

And Ka. Or ka-ka, as Eddie Dean would say. As the books go and words pile up, ka becomes a crutch for lack of planning. Things show up just when they’re needed: a handy black thirteen bowling bag, or a hypnotizing turtle. When it happens once it’s neat, but when it happens twice a book it becomes grating. And it means that the theology of the novels has shifted. With these coincidences you get the sense that there is a god figure and a devil figure, each with their typical agenda, and each unable to effect events except in indirect ways. I’ll accept that I suppose, but it was much more interesting when we were told the top of the top was empty; when Eddie quips well kiss my ass and go to heaven, and Blaine the Mono replies: THERE IS NO HEAVEN.

I’ll leave my complaints there as I’ve hit the major ones, but I’ll end with two further notes. First, it could all just be me. I hate having unfinished books on my shelf. I hate reading super-long books, though I love to have read them. And I’ve read these last three books as fast as I can because I owned them all at once and at any time could peak at that last chapter to see how it all turns out. All this is to say that I’ve read these books faster than they should be read, so I might be overly flip in my judgments. Second, complaints aside I’ve enjoyed the hell out of this story. Susan and Roland’s affair, the agonies of the roont children, the suspense of waiting for the wolves, Callahan’s end, Mordred versus Martin—when it’s good, it’s fantastic. I love the mythology of it. The ideas at the core—of gunslingers, ka-tet, and the tower—are engrossed enough for me to lock my disbelief outside the door (though it finds its way back in every so often.) I’m still excited to read it. And if you remember the beginning, how can you not be hopeful about the end?

“If you fell outward to the limit of the universe, would you find a board fence and signs reading DEAD END? No. You might find something hard and rounded, as the chick must see the egg from the inside. And if you should peck through that shell, what great and torrential light might shine through your hole at the end of space? Might you look through and discover our entire universe is but part of one atom on a blade of grass? Might you be forced to think that by burning a twig you incinerate an eternity of eternities? That existence rises not to one infinite but to an infinity of them?”

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dude,

Good calls on all counts, except...
I'm not sure if the original first book was as gerat a thing. Mind you, it served to pull us into the story quite effectively, but the revised first book is much better in its craft.

A great series to be sure. No Lord of the Rings, but the whole idea of a series of Cowboy Knights gives me the shivers.

Of course, so does an army of Zombies.

Oh yeah...

J
Anonymous said…
Dude!

The first book was a beautiful thing. The first version, anyway.

King lost the story, which is too bad. I did enjoy the hell out of it, but only the first book can make me fall in love with Midworld. the other make me feel like I'm watching a movie.
Dave said…
The fact that he rewrote the first book scares the bejesus out of me. I remember reading an interview where he talked about it, and I got the sense that he dumbed it down a little. But I hate people who judge something they haven't read or seen, so I'll try not to be one of them.

Damn, too late.
Jay said…
I can't really comment on Stephen King. I tend toward the meatier books, not a book snob, just not into his usual fantasy genre type, whatever you want to call it. But my husband was brought up like you: canned spaghetti, and King. So we have a few old novels of his kicking around the dust bunnies, and I read something of his I actually liked, the stores in Nightmares and Dreamscapes...I thinkthat's what it was called.
Anyways, I asked my husband about the series, and he has read the first 4 I think, and said "yeah, that's a long and complicated series." Don't worry, he won't give up his day job and become a book reviewer.
Good thing, eh?
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
The books are definitely thick. "Wizard and Glass" shouldn't have been nearly as long as it was. It contains a HUGE flashback. The flashback itself is actually quite good, but the story in the present is ROONT.

King doesn't quite have the gift for storytelling that Tolkien had (I don't think that the Lord of the Rings trilogy required much editing), but he makes do. I would encourage anyone to try the series out, and keep in mind that it slows down at book four, and picks up again in book five.

Jorge
Dave said…
I finished the Dark Tower earlier today. What to say? I’m glad to be done, foremost, which is not meant as a slam to the book. Those last three books have occupied too much of my time over the last month and a half. Sarah identified my three recent obsessions: The Dark Tower, Jedi Academy, and this blog. The books are done and I’ve cheated my way to the end of Academy, so now it’s blog city, people.

Reading those last thirty pages, you come across a false ending, one that left me appalled at the time. Roland’s story seems to end before it gets to what we’ve been waiting for, then the book moves on to a resolution for the story’s other characters. Then, thank God, there’s a coda and Roland’s story is resolved, but not in the way we hoped. Not to spoil anything, but it turns out that ka is a wheel, folks.

I’m disappointed with the end, but I’m sure every other fan and critic was too. King acknowledges in the Author’s Note, “I wasn’t exactly crazy about the ending, either, if you want to know the truth, but it’s the right ending. The only ending, in fact.” King might actually believe this, but I don’t. I don’t know what I envisioned at the top of the tower, at the very least some kind of communion with God, but an ending that involved God or capital-a Answers was probably too scary to write. I believe that King had a very different ending in mind when he started the whole thing in 1970: a better one.

Other than the ending, I am satisfied with the last book. Once I accepted that any kind of plan had been cast aside in favour of intuitive writing, I enjoyed myself a bit more. When King wrote himself into the story in Song of Susannah, it didn’t work for me, but I loved his presence in the last book. My favourite line in The Dark Tower (and it’s killing me that I can’t find it to quote) comes shortly before the ka-tet breaks. Stephen King, as author and narrator, says something like: now we come to business that you don’t want to hear, and I don’t want to tell you. Or in the Coda where he addresses those of us who want an ending: “You are the grim, goal-oriented ones that will not believe that the joy is in the journey rather than the destination no matter how many times it has been proven to you… You are the cruel ones who deny the Grey Havens, where tired characters go to rest.” I find that stuff brilliant.

Anyhow, now it’s over and I’m feeling a little lost not having to read them. I need a little reading break now, and then I’m sure I’ll find something else to obsess over.
Anonymous said…
I've never found Steven King that great. I dug his On Writing quite a bit (being the aspiring writing type I am), but I've never really gotten into anything else of his. Tried the Dark Tower, and it just wasn't my bag. Seemed too slowly set up, too much lag between significant events... and hell, if you and Jorge both agree it was the strongest book of the series, I can think of several hundred things I'd rather do than plow through the rest of them. But that's just me, of course.

And hey, if you want something meatier to sink your teeth into (as in, more bang for your buck in terms of content and - sorry, Steven - better writing), I can't highly enough recommend Clive Barker. What little of his stageplay stuff I've read isn't fantastic, but check out his novels. Weaveworld was the first thing of his I ever read, and is as good a place to start as any.
Imajica is also good, but is a bit hefty. I'd suggest you start off with a tidy novel first.

Then there's Elmore Leonard. Brilliant. And James Ellroy, if you want some particularly dark (but unparalleled) noir in your appetite. Frankly, it saddens me that King makes $40 million a year and James Ellroy - a man who could out-write King in his sleep - is far less well known.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.