Skip to main content

Goldie’s dead. I’ve been framed for murder and the cops are in on it.

I love movie trailers. Ideally, when I go to a movie I want to see so many good trailers that for a moment I forget what film I’ve come to see. (I also want to not see that goddamn MovieTickets.com commercial. I swear to you I will kill that couple if I ever find out where they live.) After watching all the current trailers that it seems are out there to be watched, there are four movies that I’m most excited to see. From this selection, my tastes look painfully mainstream, but this isn’t entirely the case. It’s just that, while I do enjoy my indie fare, a trailer for Sideways or Vera Drake doesn’t make me chub out in quiet the same way. Here are my top four, ranked in order of anticipation.

Sin City – The only bit of Frank Miller I’ve ever read is the Dark Knight Returns. My comic book days have long since passed my by and even then I only read the crappiest DC titles, but I’ve watched this trailer more times then I’d like to say and now I’m dying for April to get here. Visually, it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before. This looks to be the most fully realized comic book world set to film, with its own set of physics and its own properties of light. It's hyper-real film-noir, supercool, and in case you haven’t figured it out yet, I can’t wait. And man, I’m a nerd.

War of the Worlds – Aliens have invaded the earth and this time we won’t be saved by Randy Quiad or President Bill Pullman. Creepy tone, good use of narrative from the book, a battle for suburbia: I’m sold.

Batman Begins – Forget the batsuit with nipples. Forget the governor of California and his aluminum suit and his godawful one liners. Forget Alicia Silverstone (except in those Aerosmith videos. Reeeoow.) This one has Christian Bale—who in my eyes has done no wrong with his career (I'll forget Newsies if you will)—and Christopher Nolen, the director of Memento. Sign me the frig up.

Revenge of the Sith – No teaser trailer teases quite so well as a Star Wars trailer. We can all agree that Lucas dropped the ball on Episode 1, then got sacked so hard he shit his pants for Episode 2, but I watch this trailer and I know I’ll give him another chance.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah yes. The Movie Trailers.

You really need to go to http://www.quicktime.com where you will see a behind-the-scenes special about how WETA is doing the special effects for "The Narnia Chronicles". Eyes will bulge. And so will your pants, I assure you.

Ok. Onto the movies...

Sin City: Amazing Trailer. Looking forward to it. Hellboy was pretty good as an adaptation, but this looks so amazing that it threatens to leave all else in its black-and-white dust. PLUS it has Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke. Damn that Harley Davidson and the Marlborough Man confusion....

War of the Worlds: This could go either way, I think. They need HG Wells. Eating french fries.

Batman Begins: FINALLY, something focussing on the ORIGIN of Batman, rather than casual flashbacks. As cool as the first one was, this one will kick ass, and hopefully redeem DC.

Revenge of the Sith: I can't believe you were so nice to Lucas in your comments. He'd better redeem himself, or I will be quite upset. The two words of this movie will be "General Grievous". Oh yeah!

Jorge
Anonymous said…
Oh sweet Jesus. The Sin City graphic novel sent me plummeting into a spiral of existential angst from which I still have not extricated myself. Can't wait to see it.

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.